Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bleeder is broken at metal. How do I get the bugger out to replace???????????????????? THANX ::

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
you will probably have to remove the wheel cylinder to work on it, so just replace the wheel cylinder...and don't bother with the old one. good luck, Todd P.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
coupster beat me to the punch. However, my question still stands, disc or drum?
You could replace the wheel cylinder (drum) for less than an easy out. However, you haven't lived until you break an easy out off in the thing you're trying to remove! Then you really bleed.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Found this useful on speed bleeders web site

Procedure for removing a broken Speed Bleeder

For those who would like to remove a broken Speed Bleeder themselves, I will explain the best way to remove the broken Speed Bleeder. Read these instructions over and over until you understand the procedure and feel comfortable tackling this job. If you still have questions or don't understand the steps you can call me or e-mail me for clarification.

Do not use an EZ-Out! I can't emphasize this enough! This tool is too brittle and hardened and nine times out of ten you will snap it off and loose any hope of removing the broken part. Before you can remove the broken part you will have to remove the spring and stainless steel ball. The spring can be removed by using a piece of wire or pick. The ball can be removed with a blast of air from an air compressor. If you still cannot remove the ball because of a burr at the area where the break occurred you can use a drill bit to clean up the burr. Then the blast of air should remove the ball. Next, drill a hole in the Speed Bleeder with a 5/32" drill bit. A good quality cordless battery powered drill such as "Dewalt" works best for this step. It is easily maneuvered and has a built-in clutch to minimize drill breakage. Try not to go all the way through the bottom of the Speed Bleeder. Then take a 5/32" hex wrench (allen wrench) and tap it into the hole that you just drilled. Use a quality hex wrench brand. A quality hex wrench will be hardened and tempered which makes it strong and ideal for the job. The corners of the 5/32" hex wrench will bite into the sides of the hole and act like an EZ-Out. Then carefully turn out the broken part of the Speed Bleeder. If the wrench twists in the hole and will not remove the broken Speed Bleeder use the next larger size drill bit and corresponding hex wrench. This procedure is the way I remove a broken Speed Bleeder and hasn't let me down yet. Be patient and be careful when doing this procedure. I don't want to see anyone get hurt. Oh yes! and wear safety goggles!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts