Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've stripped down my 67 FB project (not that there was much left to strip)and it's tentatively booked in for the right-hand-drive conversion in May.

Now there's a few things I've got to get sorted before then (firewall related) and the brakes is one of them.
I'm going with RRS's complete strut/disc front end and rear disc conversion so I ultimately will need something better than a standard single vacuum booster. Also because I plan on installing a Tremec and don't want a mechanical (cable)set-up I therefore need to make space for a clutch MC.

My first train of thought was to lose the power option altogether and just go with the dual manual MC set-up from JMC - proven and reliable and from what I've read almost the same feel as a vacuum booster set-up. After having emailed them twice in the last couple of weeks and not getting a response (got a read-receipt tho, which is a start!)it got me thinking about other options. After a little hot-rod research (always a good source of info, the hotrod fraternity) I've come up with another option - Hydroboost.
Now this is a pretty expensive option and before I bite the bullet, I thought I'd throw all the options out there and get the invaluable opinions of the VMFers. ::

I found Hydroboost options from KAR (Reen), Hydratech and Power Brake Services.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
67 Posts
I used the hydroboost from a 96 Cobra. I fabricated the mount, but would not do it myself again. Try hydroboost.com. You can buy everything to make it work. They will not sell individual pieces, which is a great strategy.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the JMC bias bar set-up and have found the system very reliable and effective. My only complaint is a hard pedal.

I have plans to do the hydroboost myself. This car is just way too fast to not have power assist on the brakes.

This is an area on our cars that IMO should not be without a power adder!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
chassis pro is doing a 66 fastback for me right now and we will prob be using the 99 cobra hydroboost on it. the car is getting sn95 cobra brakes all around so it should work no different then if it was still all on the cobra.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas.

The hard pedal is something I want to avoid but good pedal feedback is essential. I'm going to look into the Hydroboost a little more. I'm sure the Hydroboost units aren't used on anything here in Oz, so it's going to have to be an import for me.

Can anyone point me to a good online dealer for late mdoel Mustang Hydroboost units? I don't want a kit as I'm going to have to fab up my own mounting arrangement for the RHD conversion, so I'd rather just buy the bare bones bit.

Oh, and hydroboost.com just diverts to hydratech anyway - one and the same.

Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks fellas.

The hard pedal is something I want to avoid but good pedal feedback is essential. I'm going to look into the Hydroboost a little more. I'm sure the Hydroboost units aren't used on anything here in Oz, so it's going to have to be an import for me.

Can anyone point me to a good online dealer for late mdoel Mustang Hydroboost units? I don't want a kit as I'm going to have to fab up my own mounting arrangement for the RHD conversion, so I'd rather just buy the bare bones bit.

Oh, and hydroboost.com just diverts to hydratech anyway - one and the same.

Cheers, Mike
try mps auto salvage /mustang parts specialties in winder ga. greg parts out hundreds of late models.i think its stangparts.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts