Vintage Mustang Forums banner

To clone or not to clone, that is the question....

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Roddster 
#1 ·
Okay, now my wife is questioning my decision to make a GT-350 clone out of our '67 fastback. I too actually am a little concerned that after I get all done (in about 2 years) there will be so many clones that I won't be able to recoup my costs if I have to sell it. I absolutely love ’67 Shelbys, but restored fastbacks are cool too. I am not in this hobby to make money, but then again I can’t afford to throw money away. Any thoughts on the value of Shelby clones in a few years? Also, will the “Eleanor” fade be gone?

#2 ·
I'm not a clone, I'm pretty much an individual (just like everyone else! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ) Do what you want, it's your car. What if's will make you crazy!!

#3 ·
I'm kinda partial /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

I don't think you can clone anything and come out ahead financially. Heck, you can't even FULLY restore something and come out ahead!

I think the clone market will get stronger, as prices for the "real thing" continue to skyrocket (witness the $95K Shelby earlier this week). Frankly, real cars will get out of reach of the average person, and you wouldn't dare drive one if you could buy one. But that's all "crystal ball" thinking, and who knows what will REALLY happen?

I guess that my thought is, build what YOU want, the way YOU want it, and ENJOY it!

Re: Eleanor - I sure hope the fad is gone by then! But on the other hand, it does help clone values..................

#4 ·
I feel about the same about my '66 coupe. I bought it to drive and have fun with while I finish the '67 fastback (dream car), but I find myself doing too much work on the '66 so that when the '67's done and I decide to sell the '66 (hopefully I won't have to), I'll never get my money out of it. So what do I do, I still mod the '66 anyway. I know this isn't really an answer, but maybe it'll help.
-Brian

#7 ·
I have to concur with everything that Obsessive Clonepulsive person said. I think gt350clone's comments are about the best anyne can look at the hobby and know. My 'vert is a GT350 replica I raced the pee waddling pooh out of. As times made the thing worth more than the $150 dollar hulk I started with, I started backing off the BOSS 302 track bar, nylon bushings and stuff, but clone can be (and I found is) as much fun as the real thing without significant associated liabilities. 67 Shelbys are my favorite all-time Mustang. If I had the materials and car to clone one, I would.

#8 ·
i am at the moment doing a 68 gt350 clone when you cant afford the real thing if you have the means to clone go ahead if you had a real shelby you would find most people are scared to drive their high dollar shelbys as genuine shelby parts are high dollar prices and my clone is more of a restomod the way i would want it so its a personalised clone.regards javed

G
#10 ·
you should build the CAR for you,an not anybody else.its your money,your time,your car,your hardwork,
the only one you gotta please is yourself!
in the end what matters is what you think.

operater!, trace this call an tell me where im at!
Dave

#11 ·
Is there a compeling fanancial reason? Mustangs make poor banks. Half the money you put into them seem to go into service fees. There is also a top price that no matter how nice it is your lucky to get $5 more than the ceiling. If your looking do this as an investment then so a spreadsheet. A car is only worth the sub total of its parts.

When your building a clone people seem to go out of there way to point out any errors in the clone. Original parts are really expensive and repo parts will never seem to be as good as an original. Now if you finish the project and do it well you will have one fine looking car. But at the price you paid to build the clone would you be happier if you had bought a real shelby. Sure the shelby may not be in as good a shape as the clone you can build for the same money, but it would be a real shelby, not a clone.

If my reply made you feel defensive then building a clone is not for you. If all you can think about is the finished car then enjoy. Shelby's, real or clones are a damn fine looking car.

#13 ·
You should build what makes you happy. I'd give my right arm to have a 67 Shelby clone. This is my all time favoroite car (lime green w/white stripes---yehaw !), so maybe I'm partial (I want a 68 GT/CS really bad as well...).

Take a look at Bob Combs 67 clone on the Mustang of the week page. Maybe that will help you make up your mind ;-)

All in all you have to be happy with what you have. I struggled with not painting my 69 Indian Fire Red. My car is a matching numbers car, and that is the original color. After a lot of thought, I painted the thing fire engine red, and put Magnum 500's on it. Just makes me feel better because I am not crazy about the indian FP color, and I love the look of magnum wheels (over stock ralley). I'm happy I did it, and I don't know how much it detracted from the value, nor do I care..

Have fun..post your decision .

#15 ·
I own a real 67 GT 350 (31 years now). My wife just bought me a car trailer for the long distance shows...over 120 miles away. Ya know, I hate that trailer but on the other hand it keeps the car a little out of harms way so that I'll have it another 31 years.
The Clone? Do it! Just do it right enough to fool every one. No "hood" with out the extended front nose piece. Do the roll bar, do the guages...it's just an upside down rallye pack anyway. Do the eleanore if you wish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.