Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide whether or not to cut my dash on my 65 to fit in a DIN sized Alpine CD Player.

I have the factory AM radio however the previous owner cut the hole just about 3/8 of an inch wider on each side of the radio. So the stock radio doesn't fill the hole. You can see a bit behind the dash and it drives me crazy.

Since I am not planning on entering any ALL STOCK shows what would you guys do in my scenario?

I even thought of putting the new radio in the glove box however that still leaves the nasty looking space on each side of the radio.

Thanks for all advice.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
If it were I, would not cut dash anymore than it is. perhaps a radio delete plate where radio goes to fill hole than put new unit in glove box.

Just my .02

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Since the dash is already cut, I see no harm in cutting it further to fit a new unit and make it look better. You could use the radio delete plate to improve the appearance, but that won't change the fact that the dash can no longer accept a stock radio, so the car is already diminished in terms of a concours buyer. Better to upgrade the dash unit than lose glovebox space trying to make it look correct.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
You could repair your dash with a repair panel, put your stock AM radio in there, working or not, and put your Alpine in the glove box. This works especially well if your Alpine has a remote.

It's your car, do as you wish.

Bud I do cringe at the thought of cutting a good dash.

·
Registered
330 Posts
As the dash is already cut, and if I could still use a repair panel AFTER cutting it further to accomodate the CD unit, then I say go for it.After all the damage has already been done. However if cutting for the cd unit would make the hole too large for the repair panel then I would rethink some of the other mentioned options. It is too bad that the dash is cut as there are some very nice custom fit cd players and changers available for the Mustangs.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The repair panel is much larger than any hole you would cut out.

Since a repair is required to bring it back to stock, I see no reason why you shouldn't cut out for a DIN radio. You have already lost originality at this point so no harm is done.

I struggled with this too, and decided cutting the dash further is no sin.

I would not cut an original, uncut dash.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys I appreciate all the advice.

I think that I will put the radio in the dash and maybe buy a repair plate so down the road I can have that tacked in and painted if I were to sell it. But since it is already modified a bit, and I am not interested in competing in Concours Stock than whats wrong with adding a little peronality. I plan to drive it almost everyday during the summer when its nice out. No trailer queen here.

Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts