Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my car is still at the mechanic's for a head job, I have a window of opportunity to have the car's exhaust system converted to GT style dual exhaust with trumpets using Mustang Unlimited's conversion kit. The mechanic said he could do the job for $100 + the cost of the kit and other required parts (different brake lines, new rear valance...). I'm still debating whether to go ahead with this conversion. After examining many pictures I have FINALY concluded that "cosmetic wise" I don't think its a good idea, at least according to my own personal taste and I'm not into performance enhancements. Wowever, it MAY make sense from a marketing point of view by enhancing the desirability of the car to prospective buyers (as I will sell the car eventualy). Thus my question : would equiping my coupe with GT style dual exhaust likely to significantly up the car's appeal to potential buyers ? Views and comments on this subject would be appreciated
Phil
'66 coupe (289 C code, AT, PS, PB, candy apple red, black interior, fogs, styled steel wheels and Rally Pack)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I personally find the GT exhaust to be very attractive. I don't think you can go wrong adding it. I am not sure if adding it will increase the selling price of your car more than the kit will cost. Perhaps others can help in that area. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Several weeks ago I made the decision to switch to a dual exhaust for my 67 conv. I didn't have to mess with brake lines but I did replace the rear valance and installed the original type tips. I really like the looks of the dual exhaust but alittle disappointed in the additional noise. It sounds great cruising down the road but at an idle it's a bit too loud for my taste, especially with the top down. I had heard from people on this forum that the kits can be somewhat difficult because they don't always fit right. Therefore, I had my local muffler shop custom bend the pipes. They did a great job.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I had the conversion done to my 66 convertible, I cut the holes in the rear valance and installed the gt exhaust rings myself. 3 nuts on each one. I had a local shop put on the pipes, with chrome tips and dynomax mufflers, all for $250.00 and they did an excellant job. It's not so much a ? of will the car go up in value as;YOUR CAR WILL PERFORM MUCH BETTER. IMHO you should do this.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
If you decide to put the duals in, go ahead and do the "X" pipe while you at it. It should add a couple extra ponies and should make the exhaust a little quiter.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I think it's a good rule to never modify a Mustang for resale purposes. Some one that wants the performance goodies will want it their way and change what you did. Someone into "stock" will have to undo what you did. IMHO mods are for the current owner's pleasure.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If you don't like them, leave it be. Trying to predict what a prospective buyer may/may not want is kind of like Bob Barr examining a pistol in your living room/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif!

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
It sounds like you are having the exhaust done anyway. Since you asked for opinions, it seems to me that most potential buyers would opt for the factory GT style exhaust over a "regular" dual exhaust that dumps out under the valence. In my mind, it's one of the distinctive features of an early mustang, and people will identify with it subconciously. You will never know if you get the money back out of it, but chances are the buyer will make you a better offer just because it somehow screems "MUSTANG" to them. Just my 0.02.

If you are asking whether or not to go to dual exhaust vs. single, deffinately go dual. You have everything to gain by doing this. Power, fuel economy, sound, etc. For $100 difference in price, it's SO worth it, considering an exhaust system can run in the $325 range. I think 90% of potential buyers would prefer a Mustang with dual exhaust over one with single exhaust.

·
Registered
560 Posts
WHen it comes to dual exhaust or any exhaust for that matter, go to a good exhaust shop and have it custom made. You will pay about the same price as if you buy a kit. If you look on previous posts about the kit, the people (most) who have tried it, did not like.
If you are going to get your exhaust finished and you don't like the GT style, get the normal turn downs and don't mess with the valance. If you are going to sell it soon, you can boast of a new custom exhaust and let the buyer know it could be a cheap mod to have the rear valance put on and modify the existing dual NEW exhaust to GT style. Always remember it is your car and do it the way YOU like it.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
If I was in the market for a stang....Dual exhaust would definitely make it more appealing to me......it is what people do to mustangs anyway.....

I can't fathom the thought of a v8 wheather moded or stock breathing through a 2 inch pipe.....it is a sin to keep it that way!!!!

x-pipe, good mufflers and nice tips with gt valance will make a nice touch here.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Do it! You'll regret not having done it if you don't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts