Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..i read the MCA question earlier and wondered: I have resisted joining b/c I always felt, perhaps incorrectly, that MCAers were dyed-in-the-wool concours 'restorers' who regarded "resto-mod" as heresy and a mortal sin against the One True Faith. Is this true? Is there room in the MCA for (tasteful) resto-modders?

G

·
0 Posts
Go to any MCA national or regional show. Concours usually makes up less than 15% of the cars at any of these events.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I could be mistaken but my instincts are that most (or many anyway) MCA members are average Mustang enthusiasts, with a strong minority being interested in the finer points of concours restoration and exhibition of the classic example. I'm not a member mainly because I'm not a joiner anyway, preferring to persue my interpretation of the hobby independently.

I'll bet if you talk to most Mustang owners (car club members or not), you'll find them to be interested and embrace your interpretation as well. I've been more of a "resto-modder" than a purist during my 3 decades of ownership and yet find the car shows as interesting as I hope the concours folks find our races. Diversity is strength IMO.

Remember, a MCA divorce is pretty painless, comparatively *G*. Give it a try....

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
Um, I don't think Trouble is a typical concours MCA car. ;)

Of course, MCA is open to all years, types, and classes of Mustangs. Concours cars represent the minority of the cars at the shows. Although MCA was founded on the concours approach, modified Mustangs are a very big part of the club now.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
i'm a strong supporter of MCA and i'm not a concours kind of guy.if you could see my chipped up paint,hardware store bolts, and painted bumpers on my mach,you would understand lol. however i do enjoy looking at the concours cars at the shows. jace

G

·
0 Posts
I have belonged to several car clubs over the past 20+ years. What I see in old cars is a love of old cars. Purists will always be present, and they may be less tolerant of some modifications, but current trends and philosophies seem to be oriented toward originality of bodies and restifications of drive trains to improve safety, handling and driveability. Street rodders may look at a vintage car with a hungry eye, but only because they like what they see. In my opinion, the age of butchery of an automotive body has passed, i.e, looking at my old magazines from the 60's, shows some modifications that are not tasteful by today's standards, but were deemed "modern upgrades" when done. There will always be room for Concours vehicles, as well as street rods, trucks, and everything in-between, in my corner. The important thing is to recognize talent, regardless of your interpretation.

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
Also remember that MCA is for all years of Mustangs (was not always that way.) It is the biggest national organization that tries to keep a uniform standard throughout the hobby.

Me personally, I believe the cars were ment to be driven. I enter the street driven class which does allow a few simple bolt on mods (like my wheels and tires), I don't have to worry about wiping down the undercarriage after every drive and I can even put on a K-mart oil filter if I feel like it.

Dave

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I was an MCA member in the late 80's-early 90's and got tired of the attitude you're referring to and got out for a few years. I started watching them in the later 90's and saw that the "good ol' boy" mentality had drastically changed. There are certain cars that need to be kept as "museum" pieces, but the majority of the mustangs are "generic" cars. Is a restored basic I-6 worth more than a tastefully converted 6- V-8 done correctly? The current administration is trying really hard to expand MCA into more than just a car show and magazine. There are now numerous "drives", track events, and just palin "get togethers" for everyone.Bill is trying to get every mustang out just to drive it and have fun with it. The "pedigre" cars need to be kept on their pedastals to show everyone what certain cars are really like, but the objective since 1964, was to option the car the way you wanted it. I think that when you re-join, you'll see a big change, as I did and you'll be glad you got back in. ::

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just attended my first MCA show (the first they have held in New England) and saw some of the wildest Mustangs I have ever seen (I have a stock restoration). My wife and I were there for the two days and had a great time. I just joined MCA and would recomend it to anyone in the Mustang hobby.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts