Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering flaring my ‘66 coupe. I like the idea of a vintage racer style, terlingua-esque, road racer thing... I found a place that makes hand rolled, steel flares and I temporarily tracked them on (see below). But I’m having trouble telling if I will like it. I think it is vital to be able to fill the flares with tire to look good.

Now I know there are many of you that will give me crap about ruining the original lines of the first-gen mustang - consider yourself concerns noted.

Any other things I should be considering? Do these flares look like they will mold in well and look right? Will I be able to fill them with slightly wider tires or is there something else I am missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Who makes the flares?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Who makes the flares?
Ulterior Motives, a “shop” in Northern California. They typically work in a very different market (slammed imports) but they are great to work with. I ordered the SV1 universal flare and requested some modifications which they did (rolled lip, slightly small flare, etc) They spent 30-45 minutes in the phone with me talking about them - great people.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
'65/'66 Hardtops/Coupes are not rare at all. If it were a '66 K code GT Hardtop someone might scream but not a plain jane coupe.
I haven't heard anybody bichin' about Maier's car.
Plane Jane Coupe?! I have a very rare car sir, which I am sure will be worth must more than I spend on it...

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
as i have always said, build YOUR car the way YOU like it, and dont worry about what others think. tell them if they dont like it and want to change it then come up with the necessary money to buy the car from you and they can then fix it up the way THEY want it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as i have always said, build YOUR car the way YOU like it, and dont worry about what others think. tell them if they dont like it and want to change it then come up with the necessary money to buy the car from you and they can then fix it up the way THEY want it.
Yes, I completely agree. I wasn’t looking as much for like/dislike opinions as much as insights I might be missing. I’m not very experience at restoring these cars, but I know a lot of people hear are. So maybe someone would notice that the shape of the flare won’t allow a wider front tire to articulate, or something else like that.

Thanks for your comment! I totally agree.

·
Registered
363 Posts
To answer your question, I'll ask a question... What is your goal?
1. To make room for a larger tire than will fit in the stock fender, even if rolled?
2. Or just create a more aggressive appearance?

I like form to follow function, and I'm not really a fan of flared cars, but it's your car and only has to please you. I do like that they're somewhat subtle, and made of steel. And above all else, I appreciate quality craftsmanship, even if it's not something I would have done. So whatever you do, do it well.

·
Registered
33,922 Posts
They look great. On the other hand, I wouldn't do them unless I was prepared to remove the old wheel openings and modify the outer wheelhouses for the larger tires. Having tires that fill up the wheelwells but end up limiting suspension travel because of lack of clearance ends up looking and being dumb.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I like them myself...but that isnt a surprise considering I am considering doing the same thing. I also agree with woodchuck though...if you are going to do it, open up the wheelhouses so you don't build a paper tiger so to say. For me though it would be more about gaining track width(allowing the adaptation of a late-model IRS) more than wider tires since the stock wheel wells fit plenty wide enough tires for me

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They look great. On the other hand, I wouldn't do them unless I was prepared to remove the old wheel openings and modify the outer wheelhouses for the larger tires. Having tires that fill up the wheelwells but end up limiting suspension travel because of lack of clearance ends up looking and being dumb.
Of course. They are just tacked on in these pics to see if I liked the look and how well they “fit.” Obviously going to cut out the old materials and patch the rear outer wheel house - otherwise would be pretty pointless

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Look good, need tires/wheels to fill them out and lowered of course.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts