Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend has decided to sell his big block Camaro (les'see, he had three chevies when I met him, he's down to two with two stangs, and he's selling one...). ::
Anyway, he MUST have a fast car. So he's torn.

We have the 289, t-5, black, FB in which we could put a roller block with some nice heads or a 331 or 347. But , the car is now a reliable driver and the one car we rarely have to work on (unless we want to).

On the other hand, he was thinking of modifying an (I know, I know) RX7 with a 289, so he would look like rice, have the modern car comforts (a/c) and have some real power.

The fastback is not concourse now, so that's not the issue. It's just that it's so reliable right now. But the thought of a rice-mobile.

Maybe we should go seek professional help on this one.

Oh, and I offered that we get a fox body 5.0 and soup that up, but he already has a fox body daily driver (which is reliable with a/c, so he doesn't want to mess with it). Any thoughs?

·
7,051 Posts
If you've got the cash...then have at it! Hang onto the 289 and anything else you take out unless later on you want to go the other way...although I doubt you will. There's no reason a 331 or 347 shouldn't be as reliable as 289....unless your BF flogs it to the point he starts breaking stuff .

By the way...I like the fact that you're thinking about starting your build from the block up. I went the other way on my 289 (started with the carb/manifold, then added aluminum heads and a cam, etc). If you do your engine build all at one time you'll save considerable time and effort redoing things (like pistons) that suddenly won't work with a new piece. Plus, you'll have a roller cam which is always a good thing.

Good luck!

Phil

·
Registered
815 Posts
V8 in an RX-7 has always interested me too. I've been following a forum on V8 RX's and a challenge to be aware of is keeping the rear end on the ground... especially the 1st gen cars. Many can spin tires in 3rd gear!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Fact is Chevys are the best supported hot rod engines and so you can race a Chevy at the least cost. I would stick with Chevrolet as my weekend racer. You can make a Ford go just as fast but not for the same money.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I would pop a 331 stroker or 351W in the FB myself... maybe even a 393 or 408 stroker kit in the Windsor if finances allow.

Doug

·
Registered
466 Posts
chevy is cheaper to build? if it was so cheap, then why am i beating a lot of chevies at the track for 3 grand.... one of the chevies in mind has a blower on it too and was not just thrown together, given its in a 56 chevy, 4000-5000 lbs car but im beating him.... the chevy limits for hp are much lower then ford imo unless you have boko bucks.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
RX7 w/289, that sounds cool :: I wouldn't consider it a ricer though, too many cylinders under the hood. :: Imagine pulling up next to some kid in a Honda w/that thing, rev up the engine and the sound coming out of the dual Flowmaster 40's and I guarentee that kid will sh*t a brick. Leave off the silly erector set rear wing though. I would love to see picture if you go that route.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a "rice lover" I like the idea of a 289 on an RX7 too! Although like someone stated "it has to many cylinders under the hood for it to be a ricer." That would be pretty cool! :: Pulling up next to your typical "Fixed up" Accord, Civic, or Integra and just rev that 289!!!!! I say go for that project! I'd love to see the track times in that! :D

·
Registered
37,483 Posts
Okay, here's my idea of a modern day Cobra...

1st generation Mazda Miata with 5.0, fender flares, wide weenies, hoop bar, side exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
466 Posts
forgot to say this.... there is a rx7 here in town that has a 430 chevy in it.... can you saw sawweeetttt.... its a chevy yes, but the car itself was SOOO!!!!!! clean... it was so amazing how nice this car was... it had all the goodies for a street/strip machine of serious horsepower. even had air conditioning :: so big engine in that car can be done but me personally id go bigger then a 289 in it, 351 more like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts