Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just finished taking the heads and intake and exhaust manifolds off the 390 so I can repair the broken studs on the exhaust manifold and have them all sitting on the bench. The engine and heads don't look bad except for a lot of carbon buildup around the valves (? bad card causing this) and some carbon buildup on the pistons. No sludge in the valley. PO probably redid engine. Question is should I go ahead and pull the rest of the engine or just clean the parts up and put it back together. If I pull it, should a complete rebuild be done?

Terry
69 Grande, 351W,4 sp
69 Convertible, 302, auto
69 Mach I, 390, 4 sp

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1599118&a=12185591&p=44770693.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
If you rebuild the heads - re-ring it too. The change in compression does not do the old rings any good. Based on experience and observed in other rebuilds. Good luck!!
Dave

·
Registered
562 Posts
Terry: For the feel-good factor alone, I think that you should go ahead and do the job. (because if you don't, sometime this summer your going to say,, I wonder????).. Mark.

G

·
0 Posts
Well...Mine is out and dissasembled, and all I started out doing was replacing the rear seal. Once under there, I had to pull the rear main cap to change the seal and noticed the bearing had word funny. So I pulled the next main cap and it looked bad too. While I could change the bearings with it still inthe car, I decided to go ahead and pull ti and have the crank and the crank bore checked for staightness...

Oh well...I feel a large pile of cash pulling towards the machine shop...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1617246&a=12345912&p=45146549.jpg

1970 Fastback, 4V 351C, various colors with black interior

G

·
0 Posts
I kinda went through the same thing, started out as a rear main seal (BTW I know the trick so it never leaks again!!!)
and it turned into a full blown rebuild. My friends and I call it the $2400 rear seal, I dont regret it a bit. 10K miles later, no leaks, and runs great. Only issues I have had is the factory exhaust chronically leaking (getting headers), and 1 rocker arm tapping lightly (changing to adjustable)

I say go for it, weather you take the hit now or later your gonna take the hit sometime. If you do it now you save yourself much work with all the disassembly youve done

Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts