Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats the question. A friend had his engine overheat and seemed to cause some damage. We hear some ticking from the passenger side while running. So taking off the valve covers we took out the pushrods to do the "rolling test". Seems about 5 of them are a bit bent.

Now, the drivers side was not ticking. We did not pull the rods yet and test either. I have two questions:

1. What all should we replace and why? Should we replace the pushrods only or the lifters as well?

2. Should we replace BOTH sides while we are at it? I'm thinking yes, whats your opinion and why?

FYI: Some of the rods looked a bit "gold" .. especially the bent ones ... we are thinking heat damage?

TIA
Chris

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Check all pushrods and replace any bent ones, readjust the rockers and monitor the situation, paying attention to strange noises or appearances while cranking the engine through when adjusting the rockers.

I think bent pushrods and overheating are mutually exclusive events unless some valves seized......in that case the pushrods should have bent more or the rocker studs should've snapped.

Describe the build state of the engine and how hot it got...

Some pushrods have the ends furnace-brazed in and often this leaves a residual coating of brass/bronze on the rod....don't think it was related to overheating...

Get back to us...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine was recently rebuilt, someone forgot to put the harmonic balancer washer on so the balancer and crank pulley slid out causing the belts to pop off and the lower rad hose blew from overheating (we think) ... oil smelled burnt. Less than 300 miles on refresh (rebuild kit, honed piston walls, reringed, etc .. no machining).

Thanks for your time camachinist!

Chris

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
IMO, the engine needs to come out for a complete inspection....

Anything short of that and its health will always be in the back of the owner's mind....or sitting squarely in his lap at the most inopportune moment...

I had hoped some of the other engine builders would weigh in on this one as I'm pretty conservative regarding such problems.

I would suggest contacting the rebuilder (and giving them what-for regarding the damper retainer), or, if the owner rebuilt it himself, contacting a reputable local shop to have the engine inspected at.

Wish I could be more encouraging...sorry about that!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts