Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's another six to 289 post. I have a '67 conv. six. Bought 20 years ago with 45,000 orig. miles. Drove for approx. 10 years until doors no longer open due to Southern Ontario winters / salt etc. Parked in my garage until now I have finances to start the rebuild.
I would realy like to put a 289 into it for a bit more hp than the six. Yes I've done the search on all past posts and found the list of parts required, costs etc.
I bought a 67 Falcon w/289 for $350 to be the donor car for the required parts that would still be in good condition. I almost feel guilty about tearing down this car for parts but that feeling passed quickly, would require major body / frame work to end up with a $2000 car.
From what I've read in the other posts a 200 to 289 is expensive but so is most of the non original parts I read that everyone is putting into their cars. I am not concerned with originality, will never sell.
So whats your opinion? Should I sacrifice the Falcon as it is destined to the heap anyway or look for parts in junkyards / new parts as required.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Great idea and a good use of the iron....

They're trying to crush out these old smog producers now anyways...*G*

As Mustangs become harder to find for donor cars, many people will likely start looking to the Falcon, Comet, Ranchero lines for substitutes...

Good for you for being ahead of the pack...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
Falcons are cool cars. I like the early models 60-65. A car to me is more
than a piece of metal. I love them and I would do anything to keep the
ones I love on the road. Including taking the life of an other to do it.
I would gladly use the Falcon as a donar car if it were me.
Just say a few prayers and throw flowers as it leaves on the wrecker.

http://home.earthlink.net/~myradpc/_uimages/turn10.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~myradpc/_uimages/turn15.JPG

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
That Falcon contains 99% of the stuff you'll need. You're not scarificing it, you're giving it a new sport coat! It will feel happy! DO IT!!!

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Yeah that's the idea!!!!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
You could sell Falcon parts. Believe it or not people like us(Mustang people) are doing the same thing we do but on Falcons. VFF? VMF! The hood, fenders, chrome, gas cap, grill, ornaments, glass, bench seat maybe, steering wheel, shock towers, bumpers, bumper brackets, the dash and pad, instrument bezel, glove box door, doors, the cowl, man there is so much stuff if you sell individually, you could make your money back and then some. Even if the fenders are shot, there might be a good strip that some one would pay for to cut out of a fender to line up to on a door or rear quarter pannel. all that stuff is the same sheet metal shape across the car. Falcons a less popular than Mustangs, so less repo stuff is available to those suckers. They pay almost double for the same thing we pay for to put on our Mustangs. And its the same exact Ford tooling. Or you could scrap it.

LATAMUD

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was my brother who found the car. Friend of a friend had the car for a long time, timing chain went so parked it with the idea to rebuild, but now too far gone. I didn't tell him it was going to be a sacrifice car.

I figured it would have most of the parts I would need from the Ford shop manual I have. The Falcon are becoming more popular up here (Canada eh) as a cheaper alternative to the Mustang. They're even starting Falcon clubs!!

Thanks for the input. This is a great forum, I just found it a week ago and have been reading ever since.
Great pics too!! starts my heart pounding and my wife running to lock up our bank account.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts