Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited with some old friends this weekend, as one of my buddies graduated the fire academy, and is now a qualified fire fighter. Anyway these guys have been trying to get me into there hobby of 4-wheeling for the past couple of years, their suggestion was for me to sell one of my cars and get a 4 wheel drive, so I can go hit the trails with them. (which I am not opposed to doing).

So if I where to go with this idea, I would sell my vert and keep the Boss (obvioulsly). I would then look for an older Bronco to work on, and make it trail bullit proof. Anybody know the bronco's and what years or options that would be best for me. Or can you guy's talk me out of this idea all together.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Why are you not supposed to be 4-wheeling? What are the consequences for doing so? Resolve those first. If you can't, problem solved.

If you can... ARE YOU NUTS????? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I'd keep the vert and buy a bronco when you can.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Sorry, but I would rather be bangin gears in a mustang, then getting stuck in a pit of mud in some old bronco anyday. Look at it this way....... YOU WILL BREAK MORE STUFF ON THE BRONCO.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
hehehe

http://users.zoominternet.net/~dodgeram/images/lake-floating-stump2.jpg
http://users.zoominternet.net/~dodgeram/images/bronco1.jpg

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See, now that looks like fun.

And, I'll be keeping the Boss, to cure the craving of driving fast, handling, etc.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Off roading is hard work though.....you think maintainence on a mustang is tough......try changing the oil with a little breeze blowing....when it has to drain 3 feet to the pan its a miracle any of it gets in /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

http://users.zoominternet.net/~dodgeram/images/Hardwork.jpg

·
Registered
926 Posts
Sell a convertible to get a Bronco! How can you say that without realizing how ludicrous it sounds. Yea, there's no way you'd ever miss the convertible, is there.

You can find a way to get a 4 wheeler without losing a convertible, regardless of what your buddies say. Realize that you'll beat the living pee pee out of what ever 4 wheeler you get and eventually it'll be pretty used up. If you sacrifice your convertible to get it, then you'll eventually be left with,,,, well, not much.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Bronco's are getting very cheap...Sell me your Boss real cheap, and go buy 3 Bronco's....That way you will have 2 spares, and I will have the Boss that I need.....

·
Registered
144 Posts
I use to race off road, 2 wheel, 3 wheel & 4 wheel. It is very fun, but very expensive. You cannot make a bullet proof full body 4 wheel off-roader, regardless of the money and work. They are too heavy for the parts to sustain normal off road abuse for any length of time. And when you try to go real fast thru some rough terrain, or just roll it going slow, that's when it immediately gets expensive. Keep your current cars, buy an old bronco, little jeep or old international and putt-putt without the modifications. If you want to hit it hard on a budget, get a used 2 wheel drive v-w powered rail. They are much lighter and can take the abuse much longer. P.S. If you are like me, the doctor's bills will raise the cost too. But that is just IMO.

G

·
0 Posts
The early broncos are best but getting hard to find in decent condition, then there are the big broncos which i like because thats just me. Petersons 4 wheel and off road is one of the better publications. old-school jeeps are really good and there are alot of parts for them

G

·
0 Posts
I will be the LAST person to recommend against buying an early Bronco. However, if it were me, I wouldn't sell the vert to get one. I'd keep keep it and get the Bronco when I could. Another Ford in the garage is not a bad thing IMHO, although I am probably a little overboard here ('30 Model A Sport Coupe, '69 Bronco, '65 GT F/B, '66 GT F/B project (for sale), '76 F-250 4X4 (for sale), '95 Explorer, '00 F-150, '02 T-Bird)!

I agree with NRiley's advice; heavy duty off roading gets expensive sooner AND later. Early Bronco's can be modified effectively for agressive four wheeling and rock crawling, but this kind of use is almost always tough on your vehicle, and sometimes tough on you! Like anything else with a motor and wheels, only your wallet will limit the extent of performance modifications you can do to a Bronco. Light to moderate+ four wheeling in an early Bronco is big fun (usually!) and can be done economically with relatively minor modifications, and done without hammering your equipment. I've owned my Bronco since 1972, and for many years did serious four-wheel on the weekends and then drove it every day to school and work; this during a time when there was no other "fleet vehicle" to back it up ... it never let me down. Even though I always maintained it well, it's amazing how well it has survived. Now it's just a toy that gets used way too infrequently.

There are several organizations devoted to the early Bronco, and the Early Bronco Registry is one of the very best. The members are very helpful, and they have a great website with tons of useful information including a classified ad section. Check out www.earlybronco.com Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts