Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1966 289ci engine (used).After bringing it home and inspecting I found that a rod had broke and broke a peice of the block in the cylinder. The broken area is about 1 1/2" below the bottom of the stroke. Would it be worth sleeving? Or would you recommend a 302ci. I know the 302 will produce more power but I like the originallity of the 289 block. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
20,856 Posts
A sleeve will be fine, generally. Bring the block to the machine shop you plan on using and let them give you advice on your block.

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I agree, let a machine shop advise you on the usefullness of this block. An early 302 block and a 289 block are virtually identical, and you can build a 289 with a 302 block. The difference lies in the crank and rods. Same bore.

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif
/forums/images/icons/smile.gifMy new 64 1/2 vert/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trash the 289 block and get another from your local speed shop. A block would set you back a hundred bucks or so (minus normal machining). Or better yet, take the 289 I've got sitting in my front yard (it is for sale!!)!

Personally, I've found out (the wrong way...after buying a donor engine) that local speed shops can find good, usable blocks, short blocks and long block pretty cheap. I'd do that in lieu of sleeving a block, especially the common 289.

Thanks,

Mike
'66 Springtime Yellow Coupe
289, slightly warmed over
driven daily

·
Registered
237 Posts
Consider this too - Summit Racing has been selling brand new, standart 4.000" bore 302 blocks completely machines ready to build... Cost is 299.00- believe it? Hard for me to even consider having a 302 cleaned, and machined for that price... And the only difference in a 289 and 302 block is the length of the bores - 302's are something like .190" longer to accomodate the 3.00" stroke of the 302 vs. the 2.87" stroke of the 289... You can easily make a 302 a 289 but I do not recommend making a 289 a 302. Hope this helps

1966 Candyapple red - A code ragtop

·
Registered
65 Mustang Convertible
1,754 Posts
Unless you are worried about correctness of the engine for restoration purposes, just replace the block.
I assume since you are considering a 302 replacement that this is not a major concern.
Go with a new block.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!!!
66 200 3-spd Coupe - emberglo, daily driver
65 289 4-spd Conv - Rangoon Red (what else)
66 Shelby - Red and Ready to be Restored

1 - 8 of 8 Posts