Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, ive been thinking a while. I have an extra hood sitting in my back yard... and my motor has the perfect compression for a supercharger. Im thinking either a 6:71 or a centrifical... i cant decide. Should i throw my hood in the rafter, and cut the already butchered hood? Or keep it all under the hood? I know finding all the parts for the roots blower is a lot easier, and probly the same price... but you cant drive a roots blown motor in the rain... or can you? ::

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
i think the choices for a 351w are pretty limited. i think there is more of a selection with roots style blowers as opposed to centrif. like vortech or paxton. check with them and find out. i like the idea of the underhood blower though, bc most ppl have no idea until you hammer it and are in the boost and all they see is your tail lights.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
How do you make a 671 blower fit on a 351W or 302? The 671 is integral with a manifold that is set up for a chevy - dist. in the back. Plus, even if you could somehow setup the 671 as a stand alone unit, the discharge is two (?) large rectanges down the center of the unit. If you tried to put that onto a Ford intake, you would end up cutting into the runners and totally screwing up the dist. of the air/fuel mixture? On the other hand, I've been looking into only a couple of months. Are you aware of any kits or adapters to fit a 671 on a Ford? None of the supercharger manufacturers or rebuilders I've talked to has said that the 671 can go on a Ford small block. If you were able to get a 61 onto a Ford small block, the entire package would probably fit under the hood without cutting an opening. I am very curious about your ideas to make it work.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BDS makes a kit for a 351w that includes the supercharger, manifold, lines, linkages, etc... all you need differnt is the manifold... everything else is the same. You just supply the carbs and motor. Check it out... www.goodvibesracing.com

·
Registered
369 Posts
In my case,Im running a 174 B&M with 10lbs boost on my 351w.It was manufactured for a 302,but
I went to http://www.pricemotorsport.com/ and got intake adapters ,and distributer adapter.I not sure
you would "need" a 6/71,with my motor combo.408 stroked,Canfield heads..etc Im pushing 600hp.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Well let me add my .02. The first thing to think of when considering adding a blower is what you really need to do to beef up rest of motor, reat end tranny etc to handle the power. IMHO to just put blower on and leave these other areas alone WILL come back to bite you, it happens all the time.

Iam kinda out of the box in my choice of blowers but for IMO some decent reasons. As much as I love the look of the 671 sticking out the hood all bold and proud it does limit some options for you, you will have to cut hood etc, and sometimes it rains when you least expect it which also creates problmes.

A couple of other things that led me to go way I went was if you have that big ole 671 not too much doubt about cars potential but if it set up with Centfical at least until you step on the gas others don't have idea what your running I like the semi sleeper effect. I can't tell you the times I run into someone who says to me man you got to do something about that vacum leak.

Ok now where I might get flamed alittle as much as I like the paxton products and history with the small block ford. I chosse to go with Vorteck in T-Trim the thing I like most about it is you can adjust the boast from the cockpit with the twist of a knob again option to just run it at say 7lbs for driving around but when you want to go jump up to say 18lbs without leaving the comfort of the seat of your car.

Well of course this is just my opinion and we all know what there worth but some options you should think out before jumping in with both feet.

Mark

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I think Mark has given a good perspective on the totality of the circumstance.....

You have to figure the kind of budget you will be able to put togther and the time schedule you would like it completed. Think about the kinds of mods you will need to keep this beast rustled up under the hood and the type of engine/tranny/rear end you are willing to pay for.

This doesn't even include chassis mods, brake upgrades, suspension upgrades, ingition management, cooling upgrades...

If the sleeper look is what you want, I would opt for the MYTOYS style EFI engine....with a centrifugal type blower. Any shavings that come off the blower end up in the engine's oil.....and they stick out of the hood more often than not. The centrifugal, have their own ATF reservoir, don't get as heat soaked as the displacement type and fits under the hood.

So, I invite you to think this one out......people ask, how fast can I go? I tell them what my buddy Chris says....its all about cubic dollars...literally.

I would start off with a beefy 351W shortblock made with a sportsman block, steel crank and rods, forged dished pistons, some good flowing heads like Canfields, AFR, TFS, Edelbrocks, FRPP GT40X, Dart, Brodix
or Roush heads.

I would also go aluminum because of its ability to suppress pre detonation.

and then figure out what kind of fuel management system you want....
if EFI, go centrifugal.....if Carb, you can go the Shelby style Paxton centrifugal or roots.

take these things into consideration and get back to us...

I think a good 500 hp 351W setup is ideal for street use and is good enough to blow the doors off most bowtie and mopar street machines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts