Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear quite a few opinions about undercoating your car - some say yes some say no - anybody have any experience with undercoating their mustang?I know that the old undercoating in the wheelwells of my `66 protected that metal.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I am undercoating my fender wells. 3M spray.

It appears to protect the area, as the original paint, markings, etc are there after 36 years.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recently undercoated my 66 coupe. It's going to be a driver; if it was a garage or trailer queen, I probably would not have done it. I used a drill and a steel wheel brush to get off the surface rust, primed everything, and went to autozone and got about 4 cans of rubber undercoating in the blue can, it's about 4 bucks a can. I then painted over the undercoating so at least the color matches the factory. It really looks good and I'm glad I did it, and it only took about 4 hours total work from start to finish. BTW my car was originally from Texas and has always been I thought rust free, but once I got underneath I saw a few small pin hole size rust holes that I easily stopped and fixed which is maybe another reason to get underneath and coat your car.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I'm not a fan of undercoating, but that is my personal opinion. My first new car was a 65 Fastback GT and I ordered it without undercoating. Over the years, it seemed to me that undercoated cars were more prone to rust and rot, at least on the East coast. As the undercoat dried and cracked, it allowed moisture/salt in places where it couldn't dry/rinse out. Again, in 1985, I ordered a new 5.0 GT without undercoating. This car is kept in pristine condition and I actually wax the underside (couldn't do this with undercoat!). I have spent untold hours cleaning the factory undercoating off of my 66 Fastback project car. Where the floor pans were repaired, I was carefull to weld all seams and grind everything smooth as I intend to have the underside of this car have that "polished" appearence too. Of course, I will undercoat areas of the wheel wells where stones (or other road debris) could be flung by the tires. This is for noise insulation and to protect the wheel wells from projectiles. To me, undercoating is like bondo, it has a purpose when used sparingly, but it is often used to hide problems, or rough, poor workmanship.

66 Fastback
85 GT Hatchback
67 Coupe
82 GT Hatchback

1 - 5 of 5 Posts