Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shaummy stopped by and everything is assembled. We had a fuel leak and a radiator hose leak but those were found and fixed quickly. We found where the alternator wire went.

We found TDC and rechecked the distributor wires. Yep 289 pattern.

Plenty of gas. We know this because of the flames coming out of the carb. We double checked the wires and they were OK. We checked the Crane web site and the cam uses a 289 pattern not a 351. It seemed to catch a few times but only for a second. We moved the distributor forward and backward. Rechecked the everything.

Tomorrow I will replace the cap, wires and rotor. They worked when I took it apart and I thought they would work now.

Darn. I was kind of hoping it would be a turn the key and it would start kind of thing.

What are we missing.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
*dumb comment brought on by real life experience*

Are you sure you are putting the wires on COUNTER-clockwise? i did mine clockwise onece... bad mugumbo there...

·
Registered
353 Posts
At top dead center (TDC) for #1 cylinder both the exhaust and intake valves on that cylinder will be closed. If the rocker covers are off both rocker arms will be seen in the same position and there will be no tension on the push rods. The crank dampner timing position should be
within a degree or two of TDC and the rotor in the distributor is in position to point at the # 1 hole on the distributor cap. The distributor usually has to be rotated for the rotor to match the #1 plug wire hole. If the distributor can not be rotated enough it will have to be pulled and the gears set in another position.

If #1 cylinder is at TDC and the crank is rotated 360* the dampner will read TDC and the exhaust valve will be open. Do not set the distributor on #1 spark plug when the crank is in this position. If it is the car will back fire and refuse to run.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Mark Mosteller
Garden Grove, CA

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh crap. You are right! I could have sworn that we watched the rotor go around clock wise when we set the valves. I feel so stupid. I just checked the 5 manuals and the distributor goes counter clock wise. I knew it was something stupid I did. I gotta say it ran OK on 2 cylinders if you ignore the flames coming out the carb and back firing. Will morning never come?

"Sir. Step away from the wrench. Put the wrench down and we promise we will not hurt you. Be nice and put the wrench down. OK. Now kick the wrench over here and back up a few steps."

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
LOL!!! (Definitely with you, and not at you)

Haven't got around to doing anything with the engine yet, but I'm glad I'm not the only one out here who would make a mistake like that. Your success, and mistakes, give me new courage and enthusiasm! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts