Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I can be glad to say this is the worst that has happened to me so far...
Stupidest thing ever.... left rag on headers, and about 1.5 miles from my house at a stop, noticed the glowing ember coming from the turn signal holes in my hood, jumped out (not knowing about rag; thinking fuel leak or something) popped hood to reveal burning rag by the 5th and 6th cylinders. So instead of watching the show unfold into a something a lot worse, I grabbed rag with my bare hand and threw it on the street. The rag split into a bunch of pieces and it lit up the road nicely. But, not over yet, the spark plug boot on the 5th cylinder was some how still burning, not a small flame either. Yanked that sucker out and threw on the ground. Quick sigh of relief, inspected engine bay with nothin more the insulation on some wires burned off. found the wire i threw out pulled remaining boot off, wrapped terminal with some electrical tape put back on, and fixed other wires and on my way home. phew... definitly not the worst doofus, but still enough to leaves some blisters on my hand...

·
Registered
550 Posts
OK... a pretty good doofus! Would have been a RIOT to have been there watching you throwing it all around. ::

BUT, we have a problem here: 1) no permanent damage to car and 2) no ambulance trip to a hospital for you (I hope! ::).

I'll have to leave this one up to the doofus judges to make the call....

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Youre investing time effort and money into this mustang.....buy a fire extinguisher....they dont cost much.

G

·
0 Posts
I once had a 57' Plymouth Convertible that I replaced one of the mufflers before driving about 300 miles toward Mexico. Well, as you did, I left a rag on the muffler. About 50 miles down the road, I had a fire underneath. Fortunately, I was astute enough to have a fire extingqusher with me, so no permanent damage. Stuff happens with these old cars, and we just have to plan for the worse. Glad you came out of it OK>

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
congrats on surviving a "buy a fire extinguisher" wake up call with minimal disruption and no injury. When I first built my engine's top end, I added alumn heads, intake, new carb, new cam, yada yada yada. I totally detailed the engine compartment with completely new everything. It glistened and would bring a tear of joy to the eye. The first time I drove it, I noticed smoke pouring out from under the hood. Pulled into a parking lot, popped the hood and found the entire intake area on fire, flames about 10 inches high. I ran over to a couple guys drinking cokes and they gave me their cokes to pour on the fire. Meanwhile, someone came out of a store with a fire extinguisher and put it out. Turned out it was a stupid $6.00 fuel filter, brand new, the glass tube type, that came from the factory with the ends LOOSE. Once under pressue, gas literally ran like a water hose out of the fuel filter, pooled on the intake, overflowed down to the headers and poof - flames. Burnt up the new wiring, did a number on the clear coat on the intake manifold, and the fire extinguisher crud gumped up the carb. My suggestion is to purchase a small kitchen-size halogen type extinguiser and not the dry powder. Leaves less of a residue. The small extinguisher I have fits inside the console.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts