Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look what Vince "the eye" found today. Haven't decoded it yet. 1970 VIN 0R02F148134 and has a 4 speed trans. Vince sounds like a canary when he's buying. "Cheap, Cheap." Would you believe $3,000? He bought it from the widow lady. Her deceased left a 3 inch thick folder on this car that appears to go back to the original purchase. I need to wade through this tonight. Evidently a one owner too. She included a whole pickup truck full of new and used parts, Engine is in pieces but includes a new Crane cam in the box and who knows what else. Heads say 351 on them. I'll let you know more after inventory this weekend. Question: Since my estimate to put this one on the road with engine, body, paint and all is about $7,500, should we sell it as is or fix it up first? Not real sure of the market for these "late model" ones yet. :: http://webpages.charter.net/jrw642/1970%20FB%20001.jpg http://webpages.charter.net/jrw642/1970%20FB%20002.jpg

·
Administrator
19,505 Posts
Nice! :highfive:

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hmmmm. '70 fastback that came with a 302 originally. Sounds like a decent purchase price. I'm betting if you spend what you are estimating you would be able to get it back. Nice find!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Looks Very Nice! Good Deal to.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Nice find, Jim. Looks a lot like my sportsroof when I bought it (almost the same price, too!).

If your plan is just flip it, I'd put it together with as many of the parts that you have that will work and then get it on the market. The '69/'70 parts are often twice the price of the earlier years and are almost always crap.

Get it running and driveable, and it will be worth more than double what you paid for it without even doing anything to the body, except putting the trim back on it.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I guess we will build it. After looking at the prices it will be hard to loose on this one.
The other question then is: Restore as original or Restomod. Should I build the original 302 or will engine swap to 351 or 5.0 help or hinder the sale?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Some people have all the luck. :highfive: I've been looking for a clean cheap 69/70 Fastback project car for a long time but have had no luck finding one in my area of the country. Good find. Go with a 351W.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Can't you stay home sometimes and leave SOME of these for us? :wall: :rofl:

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I spent years restoring a 70 sportsroof. Everything was top of the line when restored, including a conversion to deluxe interior, air conditioning, fold down rear seat, battery in the back, T5 trans, hydraulic clutch linkage, Torque Thrus D wheels, fresh 50 series Proxis tires, Fresh Paint, headers, dual exhaust, cam, intake, heads, carb, underdrive pulleys, alum. radiator, alum. water pump, all new electrical wiring, every nut and bolt on the car was new ARP or AMK. I posted the car for sale on eBay and got a best bid of 13,500 before I closed down the auction and sold it for 15,000 to someone on VMF. I had a little over $40,000 in the car. Paying someone to do body and paint will chew through most, if not all, of your budget. On the other hand, as is, you won't get more than what you paid for it. I'd get it running and not try to restore it, then try to get your 7,500 for it. Might only get 6,000 if it needs paint and rust repair.

good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts