Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took good pictures of the back of the alternator and the wires with the plug were put back on correctly.

There is a wire with a big lug which is separate from the others. It is long enough to either go to the solenoid or the big ground lug. OK. Which is it?

Let this be a lesson to you young guys. It is easy to forget things. Now where did I leave that radiator?

·
Premium Member
19,225 Posts
Depends upon the color of the wire. If redw/black stripe, it is a ground wire and goes to the engine lug. If Black w/yellow stripe, it goes to the solenoid (battery + lug).

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The black/red wire (or pink if it's faded ;)) goes from the ground post on the alternator to the engine block. I'm not sure the "concourse correct" postion on the engine block for a '65/'66 (not much concourse about my car), but I know on the '69's the big eye bolts by itself to a threaded hole in the bottom of the block about 4" in front of the motor mount (bolt goes straight up). On my '66, I used the dipstick tube bolt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts