Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old 2.80 open out and new to me, slightly used 3.55 Traction Lock going in. So you think it's going to change the nature of the beast?

Keeping the oil and additive warm, garage is cold. Yes that's Antisieze, I'm using it on the gasket instead of cement. I swapped out the previous worn out 2.80's about 8 years ago when I put my Toploader in and used Antisieze on that gasket. Never leaked and the old gasket pulled right off cleanly in one piece.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol, I think this is going to be one of those projects where one thing leads to another. Such as a cam upgrade. The Mustang 5.0 cam pulls pretty decent to about 5K.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Really thinking about doing this this summer. Never thought I'd want it because of 'long trips' but as it turns out, after having my car done for 5 years I've never taken it on a 'long trip.' The farthest has been 33 miles.

Reactions: Nailbender

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
1,106 Posts
Definitely let us know the before and after response. I am going to be doing something similar to mine from the 2.79 later this year. Just finishing up engine mods now.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had 3:50 gears in a '65 fastback that was my daily driver and they were nice. But I also had taller tires in the rear than stock. That car had a Lemans cam, 351w heads, with GT40 valves (real GT40 Valves), Cobra intake and a Holley 650 double pumper and a Pete Jackson gear drive. I remember street racing a guy with '65 notchback with a 351 Cleveland (cut shock towers) . He had 4.11s and he jumped me off of the line. I managed to stay right along side his rear bumper but I could not gain any ground on him. I hated those 3.50 gears that day. I was ready to go home and install 4.11s. Those 3.55 gears will wake up your car, I think you will be happy.

I have the stock 3.89s in my 66 GT-350 and that is a bit too low for freeway driving. Since I've only driven it 100 miles since 1984 it has not been much of a problem. I got into flathead hot rods and the Shelby became garage art, very dirty and expensive garage art.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had 3:50 gears in a '65 fastback that was my daily driver and they were nice. But I also had taller tires in the rear than stock. That car had a Lemans cam, 351w heads, with GT40 valves (real GT40 Valves), Cobra intake and a Holley 650 double pumper and a Pete Jackson gear drive. I remember street racing a guy with '65 notchback with a 351 Cleveland (cut shock towers) . He had 4.11s and he jumped me off of the line. I managed to stay right along side his rear bumper but I could not gain any ground on him. I hated those 3.50 gears that day. I was ready to go home and install 4.11s. Those 3.55 gears will wake up your car, I think you will be happy.

I have the stock 3.89s in my 66 GT-350 and that is a bit too low for freeway driving. Since I've only driven it 100 miles since 1984 it has not been much of a problem. I got into flathead hot rods and the Shelby became garage art, very dirty and expensive garage art.
My buddy built a 29 on 32 rails

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Old 2.80 open out and new to me, slightly used 3.55 Traction Lock going in. So you think it's going to change the nature of the beast?

View attachment 745881

Keeping the oil and additive warm, garage is cold. Yes that's Antisieze, I'm using it on the gasket instead of cement. I swapped out the previous worn out 2.80's about 8 years ago when I put my Toploader in and used Antisieze on that gasket. Never leaked and the old gasket pulled right off cleanly in one piece.

View attachment 745882
I don't want to comment about running down the highway but it will really help your auto-x times if you have decent tires. If you don't have decent tires it will be a smoke and spin fest that is almost as fun!

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Not to hijack, but is it usually cheaper to buy one of the built $800 or $900 pumpkins off Ebay or take it to my transmission guy (who's pretty affordable) and have him install new gears?

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Not to hijack, but is it usually cheaper to buy one of the built $800 or $900 pumpkins off Ebay or take it to my transmission guy (who's pretty affordable) and have him install new gears?
That was the way the math worked out in my case. your milage may vary. I have done 9" rears in work trucks in the past, and they are super simple to set up. With an 8", by the time you get the ribbed housing and buy everything at retail prices I found it best to have TJ at the time, do the work.

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
That was the way the math worked out in my case. your milage may vary. I have done 9" rears in work trucks in the past, and they are super simple to set up. With an 8", by the time you get the ribbed housing and buy everything at retail prices I found it best to have TJ at the time, do the work.
Mine already has a ribbed housing. I think at some point mine were upgraded to 3.00 gears.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Tom,

As others have already stated, you'll really enjoy that gear selection (nice birthday present for yourself!). I know with my toploader it makes it a blast to drive...but then when I did mine I also pulled the C4 at the same time so it was double the fun.

John

Reactions: Huskinhano

·
Registered
203 Posts
I did the same in mine a couple years ago, it’s a very nice change. I still forget how light the car is when I take off across a couple lanes of traffic, easy to get a little sideways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 73 Posts