Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a noise in my aftermarket underdash AC blower for a few months that has been driving me nuts. Its an old Frigiking unit that works quite well otherwise. So today, I decided to try to seperate the 2 halves of the evaporator unit without actually discharging the system. Once I got into it, it wasn't that bad. I found my original heater blower switch knob, some stamps, a piece of paper, a dirt dobbers next, and various other bugs inside the housing. Once I removed the blower motor itself, the cages were full of bugs and thick dust. The back of the evaporator was nearly completely clogged with dust. Once I got everything cleaned up, its operating as quiet as a church mouse. I don't know if it is cooling better but it certainly has more air volume now. So glad to have it done!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Amazing what one can find inside these old things. My evaporator case had some loose change, some gum, and the usual wasp nest and general bugs from sitting idle for so many years.
Love the color of your car!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It’s nice when projects turn out to be easier that expected. I find that’s rarely the case with old cars and old homes. Good job!

Reactions: Fitch

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
It's something what a little attention to details can do especially on small things. A while back I had to put a whole new heater box assembly in my 66. I took the heater motor apart and oiled the bearings. No big deal or project but it made a big difference. That squeak was gone and moved more air.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to rebuild my heater box too. Its not one of those things I enjoy doing but it sure makes a difference . My heater motor makes a squawk sometimes when It starts so, I know it could use a good oiling. All the foam has rotted of of my doors too. That project will be for another day.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Before and after on the Emberglo...

Rebuilt heater case with new foam, new core, new hoses and clamps, disassembled then oiled and reassembled motor, new defroster plenum and hoses, new firewall pad over freshly painted firewall and underdash. First drive this evening!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts