Vintage Mustang Forums banner

741 - 760 of 995 Posts

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
The foundation is the biggest PIA. The actual structure and getting it closed in will only take weeks if it's timed out correctly. 4 walls, premade trusses, roof, sheeting/siding.

A friend just had a 30x40 metal pole building built... 4 days! Done. First day was the poles and structure. Day 2 was finish structure and roof structure. Day 3 and 4 was all the metal work.

It's about time! Can't wait to see pics of it!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Update!
Yesterday. I meet with Keith the new contractor. He inspected the job site, left me updated and detailed quotes, and we discussed all the details of the foundation work to be done.
He has applied for all the necessary permits. He has discussed this project with the city building inspector.
This time it will be done right. He said if the permits get approved he can start work this week. It will take 2-3 weeks or shorter, depending on weather.
My lawyer has agreed to extend our next court date a few weeks. We will monitor their progress closely. If they default on any part of the settlement my lawyer will get them.
Just a reminder. I am not paying this bill. The new foundation is being paid for by the prior idiots.
The new foundation will be a spread footing poured, and block wall, grouted and water proofed. The inner slab, and outer 20' X 25' apron will be 6" inches thick and have reinforced steel wire mesh.

I am only paying for a few additional things to be done that were not on the original contract or part of repairing the area. I have decided to run water and sewer lines to the garage for future use.

Maybe I will get the garage built this year.
just a tip if you know approximately where you are going to install a lift go out and buy #4 bars @ 12" oc ew to place in that 12x12 or so zone of the slab where the lift will be mounted, it wont cost that much, if its a 4 post lift then your area might be larger but not that much. it's cheap strength to add yourself. buy the bar chairs and get the bars centered in your slab, or you can make the chairs with sacrete, dixie cups and rebar tie wire just cast the doubled wire in the cup 3" tall then after it cures cut the cup away and you have two wires sticking out to tie to you bars.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #744
I talked to the new contractor today.
Despite the constant rain this past week. He feels the ground should be dry enough to start on Friday. We will see.

On that note. Can someone tell me how to attach pictures. I forgot and do not use PhotoB anymore. I have an IMGBB account.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I talked to the new contractor today.
Despite the constant rain this past week. He feels the ground should be dry enough to start on Friday. We will see.

On that note. Can someone tell me how to attach pictures. I forgot and do not use PhotoB anymore. I have an IMGBB account.
Thanks.
Get a postimage account https://postimages.org

It works great for storing your pics and makes it easy to post them.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I really, really, no, really don't want to pile on here, but a contractor starting a job on Friday will be a first. I continue to wish you well and honestly hope this contractor does as he/she says they will do, but I'm thinking if they start on a Friday, I wouldn't expect to see much done. If they are young and "gung-ho", maybe, but that presents other problems also. Most Companies I see (and people, because they make the Company) are usually trying to finish the job/sliding into the weekend on Fridays.

Good luck...

Allen

·
Administrator
19,642 Posts
MANY a time I have "started" a job on a Friday. Starting might involve putting up a job/permit board. Marking a bunch of stuff. Getting some equipment on site. Basically doing everything you can to have the site ready for when the lower paid labor piles in on Monday. The idea being to get the whole place to where the only thing lacking is warm bodies. Thus giving the foreman/supervisor/crew leader a head start on the nullifying at least most of the excuses for why the warm bodies couldn't start actually doing something productive. Those of you who have run a crew of people doing about anything are probably saying "Oh yeah!" while those who have not might not get this.
Though I'm no longer in construction I still do this to some extent in the shop at work. On Fridays and every day.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
MANY a time I have "started" a job on a Friday. Starting might involve putting up a job/permit board. Marking a bunch of stuff. Getting some equipment on site. Basically doing everything you can to have the site ready for when the lower paid labor piles in on Monday. The idea being to get the whole place to where the only thing lacking is warm bodies. Thus giving the foreman/supervisor/crew leader a head start on the nullifying at least most of the excuses for why the warm bodies couldn't start actually doing something productive. Those of you who have run a crew of people doing about anything are probably saying "Oh yeah!" while those who have not might not get this.
Though I'm no longer in construction I still do this to some extent in the shop at work. On Fridays and every day.
Congrats, you're an anomaly...If you think this man is expecting a board to be put up on his job site on Friday, maybe you should read the thread...

Allen

·
Administrator
19,642 Posts
I don't FEEL like an anomaly. But come to think of it, my mother did once say...ahem, anyway... I've worked for a couple of companies where such planning ahead was the norm. Construction in particular. Though come to think of it, I've managed to avoid working for too many crapbag companies so my view might indeed be skewed.

As for what we should expect on Friday....well, we can always hope. Even though I've read every word of this thread I can. Sag's had more than his share of real world negativity dumped on him already so I try only to add positive input here. (Trying REAL hard to lead by example here.)

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Sag's had more than his share of real world negativity dumped on him already so I try only to add positive input here.
Well, to that I can agree. I am simply trying to add that he need not expect much to happen on Friday. I think we can agree that Friday is not when the garage will be built. Just trying to put it in perspective...maybe finished on a Friday, just not this Friday...

Allen

·
Registered
801 Posts
Just wanted to say that I'm sorry for everything you've had to go through to get where you are, 1969sag!

It all seems so ridiculous. If they'd done anything they promised, or followed through with what they should have done, or even stopped and said "Wait, okay, we're doing this wrong. Let's stop here and think about what this guy is telling us" at any point... but no. They shot themselves in the foot and just kept reaching for a bigger gun to do it again.

I'm a tech. I work on computers. I am very careful not to make mistakes, as it would usually mean the loss of irreplaceable information, sometimes even worth millions of dollars. If I don't know what I'm doing, I don't just start taking things apart and hope for the best! I don't even bill the customer unless I have *successfully* fixed their problem.

Whatever happened to personal accountability? I just don't get this at all.

Hope it all turns out great for you, despite all the fuss and delays!

·
Registered
9,098 Posts
This is exactly how any good GC, crew leader or shop foreman should be working. As the manager of the machine shop at my old place of employ, I did this every day for fifteen years. Scheduling, organizing work, expediting etc. At the end of every day I would do the receiving on all the work orders, then create the task list for the following work day. The operators came in before me, so when they arrived they knew exactly what jobs needed to be done for that day, in what order without question. If assembly and welding had all the parts they needed for the day, then I was doing my job correctly.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #754
Thanks again for the support everyone.

On Friday, and Saturday.
I believe the plan is to dig the trench's. He will be going as deep as necessary to hit undisturbed ground. We will know when it is deep enough when he hits the hard, dense, blue clay of south east Michigan. He will also be digging out an area near the new foundation to tie into the existing sewer line.
Then he can put in the forms, and rebar for the footer. To re-cap. The footer will be 2 feet wide and 1 foot thick with rebar. Then first thing on Monday, he will bring out the soil bearing capacity testing people. They will do their job, and give a report. Once that report is approved by the city building inspector, he can then pour cement for the footer.
Once the footer cures for 2 days. Then the block walls will be started.
After the walls are in, then sewer, water, electrical, cable, and gas lines will be installed. Then the 6" wire mesh inner slab will be poured. Followed by a 20' X 25' area in front of the garage will be poured 6" thick with wire mesh.
Then final inspection by the city.
Once this is done. Then I can start building the rest of the garage.

After all this time, and fight the end of this chapter seems to be getting near.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Thanks again for the support everyone.

On Friday, and Saturday.
I believe the plan is to dig the trench's. He will be going as deep as necessary to hit undisturbed ground. We will know when it is deep enough when he hits the hard, dense, blue clay of south east Michigan. He will also be digging out an area near the new foundation to tie into the existing sewer line.
Then he can put in the forms, and rebar for the footer. To re-cap. The footer will be 2 feet wide and 1 foot thick with rebar. Then first thing on Monday, he will bring out the soil bearing capacity testing people. They will do their job, and give a report. Once that report is approved by the city building inspector, he can then pour cement for the footer.
Once the footer cures for 2 days. Then the block walls will be started.
After the walls are in, then sewer, water, electrical, cable, and gas lines will be installed. Then the 6" wire mesh inner slab will be poured. Followed by a 20' X 25' area in front of the garage will be poured 6" thick with wire mesh.
Then final inspection by the city.
Once this is done. Then I can start building the rest of the garage.

After all this time, and fight the end of this chapter seems to be getting near.

Awesome to hear there is progress coming....
My wife asked what I'm reading about as I skimmed back through the thread...her response when I told her was: " that garage build is like herpes" just keeps coming back with more trouble...lol!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #756
Update.
I was a little wrong on the time frame.
I just got some new good news.
There is supposed to be no dang rain tomorrow. It has rained something like 65 days out of the last 90 around here.
So Tomorrow.
The trenches will be dug out down to undisturbed soil. The soil test people will be out to do the tests. The depth of the trenches will most likely be over 60 inches deep to hit undisturbed soil. This is good because it exceeds building code, and will be deeper than the 42 inch frost line depth. It will not be necessary to form the footer sides with wood forms. Due to the depth, undisturbed ground will be more than sufficient for the 2' by 1' footer. The horizontal rebar will be installed. Then the concrete will be poured tomorrow. Then inspected.
All of this has been discussed and approved by the city building inspector.
It will then cure. It will most likely rain on Saturday, and Sunday. This will not damage or hurt the footer. The new contractor does not wait to pour cement. He will only dig, and pour the same day.
Then on Monday. Any water will be pumped out. The vertical rebar will be drilled and epoxied into the footer. Then the cement block walls will start to be built. Monday, and Tuesday look like no rain days.
I am hooking up my cameras now.
I may have new pic's soon.
Wish me luck.
Stuff is happening fast. Finally.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Awesome!!!

Mine is set to start 2nd week of July. I have to have my powerline relocated (in middle of proposed garage foundation) and I'm having a hell of a time getting an electrician out to help fill out the forms for the power company. Fun....

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
It's going to be a bloody muddy mess given our current weather but awesome if they can get started though. We'll all have to come over for a beer when it's finished!:grin2:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Interesting that they drill and epoxy the rebar. Looking forward to the progress!!

Allen
I was thinking the same thing and wondering why it wasn't tied in with the horizontal rebar. that's how it woulda been done when I was doing that stuff back in the day. I'm sure there's a logical reason, and I'm definitely no expert with concrete.

741 - 760 of 995 Posts