Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 1069 Posts

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
32 years experience here. We have built massive houses on crushed stone foundations and preformed foundation wall panels for the eco-friendly crowd?. If your height is right, your foundation is a friggin battleship!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Well I just got back from the city building dept., and talking to the building inspector.
Let's just say he is on my side. He will inspect every single inch of this footing.
I am going to do the grade stake with the city engineer now. So I will update everyone soon.
Wish me luck, say a prayer.
This is just step one of many I have to take to get through this NIGHTMARE.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Well here are the results of the grade stake. I will try to make a diagram. Grade is supposed to be 1.5 feet from the front curb.

back
1.61-------------1.52---------------1.48
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
1.70 -----------1.67---------------1.62
Front

The Finished Floor height is supposed to be 1.5 feet. The left front corner is almost 2.5 inches too high. Everything slopes to the back right corner.
I will give this info to the building inspector later this afternoon. We will see what steps to take after that.
So far. Everyone that has seen this has been amazed at how f'd up this foundation is.

Reactions: JD08 and Israel

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I just got back from speaking with the building inspector.
Tomorrow at 3:30. I will have his official list of ALL the reasons he is failing this footing. There will also be a long list of how they must repair the problems with the footings. Including making the contractors get a structural engineer to core test the footings, and the ground underneath.
He recommended I do not talk to the contractors until his official report is done. He knows this will go to court, possibly more. So they are being very, very, thorough.
Once I get the report I will have my ammo. I can meet the contractors with the report.
We will see what happens from there.
No point in trying to guess what the contractor will do.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
And this was from a large company? That's amazing. Can't believe they would allow those workers to screw it up that bad, or they're just hoping you won't take the steps you have, and they can get away with it.

·
Super Moderator
9,567 Posts
How did they get the inspector to sign off on the pour, or did they not need approval of the forms.

Hijacking alert.

This will sound funny, but down here in south Louisiana the ground is pretty soft. Outside of New Orleans we're not three feet below sea level like the city, but you can't dig a hole and not draw water.

We have to drive piling, telephone poles, into the ground until they can't be pounded any further. When they can't be driven any further you've finally hit hard surface, or they just go right through to the required depth. At that point they are cut off at the correct height, or cut short if they started to mushroom or split. You just dig deeper in that area until all piling are at the correct height above the ground.

The structural engineer will draw the foundation plan that shows how many, where and how deep the pilings must be driven.

The pile driver is a crane looking machine that holds the piling up, and then raises and drops a heavy weight on top of the piling until it's driven down; ca - chunk, ca - chunk, cha - chunk,......

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
How did they get the inspector to sign off on the pour, or did they not need approval of the forms.
For garages.
They just inspect the trench for proper depth.
They usually only inspect the footings at the final inspection.
I got the inspectors involved because I knew this was a crap job. The good folks on VMF also helped me make this decision.
I am glad I did.
I would never feel right about this foundation. I want this garage built right.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
For garages.
I got the inspectors involved because I knew this was a crap job. The good folks on VMF also helped me make this decision.
I am glad I did.

Realize this is going to be a very long drawn out ordeal. I suspect, but hope I am completely wrong, you will not have any kind of garage in the near future unless the building inspector, contractor, and you reach some kind of comprise. The city allowing an exemption on the grade and modest repairs to what has already been done by the contractor is the only way you get a garage anytime soon. Other than that, lawyers make money regardless!

Hope I'm wrong!

If this is a big company, why hasn't someone up the food chain with a brain inspected the site, blown a gasket, and tried to get things back on track? That baffles me!

·
Super Moderator
9,567 Posts
For garages.
I am glad I did.

But when they inspected for depth, everything was formed up as pictured and the inspector said nothing, not even out of courtesy.

"Excuse me Mr Sag, as inspectors we're not approving or rejecting the form, but that's totally not going to hold. In fact it's the worse form that I've ever seen in my life, and my twelve year daughter could have done better. You shouldn't go ahead with the pour."

Something along the above line would have been nice.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
PHP:
But when they inspected for depth, everything was formed up as pictured and the inspector said nothing, not even out of courtesy.

"Excuse me Mr Sag, as inspectors we're not approving or rejecting the form, but that's totally not going to hold. In fact it's the worse form that I've ever seen in my life, and my twelve year daughter could have done better. You shouldn't go ahead with the pour."

Something along the above line would have been nice.
No forms, or plywood was in the trenches when the inspection was done. This was prior to the pic's I posted, just before the rain came. Sorry for any confusion.
I was also assured last Monday that the forms were not complete and they would be made stronger to handle the pour.
They just outright lied to me.
You folks can call me Joe if you like.

Reactions: Israel

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Realize this is going to be a very long drawn out ordeal. I suspect, but hope I am completely wrong, you will not have any kind of garage in the near future unless the building inspector, contractor, and you reach some kind of comprise. The city allowing an exemption on the grade and modest repairs to what has already been done by the contractor is the only way you get a garage anytime soon. Other than that, lawyers make money regardless!

Hope I'm wrong!

If this is a big company, why hasn't someone up the food chain with a brain inspected the site, blown a gasket, and tried to get things back on track? That baffles me!
I realize this may take some time.
One day at a time.
I will see how the contractor reacts tomorrow. I still plan on getting rid of these idiots. Then find someone else to fix this. I realize it will cost me more money. I realize I might not find a qualified contractor soon. I realize a lawsuit will take time, and money.
I am determined. I will get my garage built despite bad people.
I will hold these people responsible.
The owner/ceo was on the site during the first pour on Wednesday, last week.
He was the idiot that told them to fill the front trench full of concrete. This led to the short pour of the footing walls.

·
Registered
228 Posts
it is ugly,,, but i would try to use it. i think it can be leveled as the blocks go on, if the rebar is good then the extra cement is no big problem.

·
Super Moderator
9,567 Posts
The owner/ceo was on the site during the first pour on Wednesday, last week. He was the idiot that told them to fill the front trench full of concrete. This led to the short pour of the footing walls.

The owner saw and approved the forms?! :surprise:

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
it is ugly,,, but i would try to use it. i think it can be leveled as the blocks go on, if the rebar is good then the extra cement is no big problem.
This job was done soooo badly. I really doubt that any of this foundation is salvageable.
I was looking over the pictures again last night. I noticed that they did not even vibrate the front of the cement during the first pour. They also did not do it during the last 2 yards of the second pour. They are supposed to do this to get out all the air pockets.
In NO way did they do enough, correct things, to tie the 2 pours together.
Having 2 pours is enough reason to fail the building code.
I would never trust this foundation. It would most definitely cause real problems in the future.
This is a 2 story large garage I am building.
The bottom line is this.
The Building inspector will not approve this foundation for multiple reasons.
I do not know the specific reasons yet. I will later today. Then I can share with everyone his findings.

Reactions: Israel

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
The owner saw and approved the forms?! :surprise:
RIGHT. The president of the company was right there.
They had a BLOWOUT immediately when the cement went in.
That didn't stop them, they just kept dumping in concrete. See the beginning of the thread.

I looked up this company before I hired them. They do a lot of cement work, retaining walls, driveways, garage pads, foundations. I asked them about garage foundations.
They said, "oh yeah NO problem".
Well now. I KNOW, and you folks KNOW. that was a load of B.S.. These folks have no idea of how to do a garage foundation.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just an idea, but filing a complaint with the BBB, once you lay the bad news on them, may be a good idea. Large(r) companies do NOT like having a complaint on the BBB so that may give you some leverage.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Just an idea, but filing a complaint with the BBB, once you lay the bad news on them, may be a good idea. Large(r) companies do NOT like having a complaint on the BBB so that may give you some leverage.
I agree.
That would be just a fraction of the things in store for them if they want a fight.
I am all for trying to resolve this in a nice, easy, and fast way.
I really doubt this will happen.

·
Registered
795 Posts
problem with the BBB is it's simply a reporting site, they have no corrective/enforcement action at all. Just like complaining about something on facebook. And if they arnt a registered company with the BBB, then what would they care? it's just a third party review hosting site.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Update.
Around 2:30 today the concrete contractor texted me. The site manager and president of the cement company want to meet me at 7:00.
I texted back. OK.
I think they are going to ask me for more money due to the amount of concrete they used.
At 3:00, I meet with the building inspector to get his report.
This is what the report says.

This notice is to advise you that the above building has been inspected by the Building Inspector of the City of Blah Blah and was rejected for the following reasons.
1.) MRC - R 403 Footing to be installed on undisturbed soil or engineered fill.

2.) Provide Engineer report to correct pour or remove and repour.
A. 2 different pours
B. Footing above finish floor
C. Anchors missing
D. Provide inspector batch tickets

Re-inspection within 15 days of this date, or penalties. Blah, Blah, Blah. You get the point.

I will have this report to give them, and I will be asking them how they plan on correcting this.
I will have my brother at the meeting for a witness.

61 - 80 of 1069 Posts