Vintage Mustang Forums banner

821 - 840 of 999 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Great progress!

Mine is finally moving along too. Grading/concrete guy is scheduled, permits are in for review, and I finally met with the local power company to relocate my power line that's down the middle of my proposed garage floor.

I'm doing a 2 post. We're going to use rebar and drop the slab to 6". The majority of the lifts I'm looking at (9K-10K capacity) only require a 4" slab.

The majority of the 4 posts one I see only require a 4" slab as well.

I'd rather have the extra thickness, especially on a 2 post.
your worst case is when you have a car in the air on a 2 post lift and then you put a lateral load on it(something pushes on the front or rear of the car). best case the car falls off the lift worst case the car and the lift tip over together and break out a chunk of the floor for good measure. adding the rebar allows more of the slab area and its weight to counteract the overturning force.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I'm a civil engineer, I've done lab testing on concrete beams in college with and without rebar and with it in the top, middle, and bottom (as common sense would apply, it was completely useless in the top and had a marginal affect in the middle, but was super strong with the steel on the bottom - all with a load applied to the top of the beam). Very cool to see the real world results/applications.

I also tested concrete and soil as a field tech before I became a design engineer. The field and lab work is fun for about 6 months, then... not so much.

Also, another interesting note on concrete, on average *most* compressive strength tests were +/-500+ PSI above advertised strength (some were well over 1.000), because if something fails, it has to be removed and redone. That was all commercial, not sure if the same would apply for residential, never had to test for them.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #823 (Edited)
A little progress was done today.
We have had a lot of wet weather. This has hampered a lot of things. So today the foundation was coated with tar. The next step is dimpled plastic, and some back fill.
The reason this is being done like this is because we are doing a cement block foundation and code requires it to be sealed. We have to use the plastic because the back fill would stick to the tar, and it would be difficult to get proper compaction. The dimpled water proof plastic won't stick to an untreated block wall so the tar is needed.
It is over kill considering it is not a basement, and really does not need to be water proofed. It just makes things easier to just go ahead and make it like a house foundation, except we do not have to set up a tile drain system.
It looks like this Thursday will be the day for some of the back fill.
A lot more rain is in the forecast for the next week. This could help a little because the 21A back fill is real dry and needs to have some water to help get it compacted correctly.

Once some of this is done. I then have to get a plumbing contractor in to run the sewer line, gas, and water.
All of these utilities will have to be tied into the house. The plumbing contractor has to dig a 4 foot wide trench along the side of the house.
Of course that is on the side of the house that I was storing things from the old garage I tore down. I spent the last few days cleaning up that mess and moving things around in the mud.
Most of the stuff just turned into junk. Little could be saved, that I wanted to save. The plan WASN'T to keep stuff outside under tarps for 3 years. Some 1920's/30's vintage wood doors were destroyed. Oh well.

Here are pic's. Now it is black.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I'm a civil engineer, I've done lab testing on concrete beams in college with and without rebar and with it in the top, middle, and bottom (as common sense would apply, it was completely useless in the top and had a marginal affect in the middle, but was super strong with the steel on the bottom - all with a load applied to the top of the beam). Very cool to see the real world results/applications.

I also tested concrete and soil as a field tech before I became a design engineer. The field and lab work is fun for about 6 months, then... not so much.

Also, another interesting note on concrete, on average *most* compressive strength tests were +/-500+ PSI above advertised strength (some were well over 1.000), because if something fails, it has to be removed and redone. That was all commercial, not sure if the same would apply for residential, never had to test for them.
in my experience most of the time if I request 3000 psi concrete for example i get 4000 or 4500 when we get the test results back from the cylinder breaks. the concrete companies definitely don't want anything blowing back on them so the 3000 mix is really 4000+, heck we were getting almost full strength in 7 days and by the 28 day breaks we would be way over the required strength on the drawings. it makes since in some regards as this was a 5 story wooden residential condo structure over a cast in place parking deck podium. By the time 28 days had passed several stories were already started and the nightmare of demolishing that podium due to insufficient concrete strength was something they would never want to risk.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #826
Update.
Finally more progress today. It was back filled, and compacted inside, and the front outside with 21A. Then sand was used to back fill the outside left, right, and back. It will settle a lot in the next few days with rain coming. There is rain scheduled for the entire next week. So I am glad that this is done.
No more swimming pool, and mud pit.
Next. Later this week. Most of the block will be filled. Except the front left where sewer and electric still need run.
Then a plumber can come in and plumb the sewer, gas, and electric.
After that is done and inspected. Then 3 more course of block. Then the pad, apron, and partial driveway can be poured.
Pic's.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Excellent to see the forward progress. You have to be excited and relieved at the same time. Happy for you after all you've endured to get to this point.

John

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Holy Cow! I am late to this party as I have been away from the site for several years. I cannot believe what Sag has had to endure. As a construction professional I could not fathom what the first contractor did. I am glad to see things are on track. I will keep tabs on this moving forward.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #830
Mini update.
I spoke to the new contractor today. I also had an appointment with my 6th or 7th plumber today.
I still have yet to get a plumber to give me a quote on this job. Well, I did get 1, I don't want to do it quote.

The new contractor will be here on Thursday to remove the dirt/concrete pile, clean up the area, and grout most of the block.
Funny.
The new contractor is having issues with the old contractor. Seems the last A hole now thinks he is not paying for the pad, and apron/driveway.
Sorry Dumba$$. You are WRONG. We can REVISIT the judge anytime he wants.
This was part of the pending settlement agreement.
This case is NOT over, just on hold to make sure they live up to their agreement.
The new contractor is going to talk to their shared lawyer, and have the lawyer remind the A hole just how costly it will be for him if we go in to see the judge about this matter.
That just means more money awarded to me.
I decided to let the new contractor deal with it for the time being.
I am keeping a close eye on things. The moment something goes sideways. We will be in front of the judge.
Just a reminder.
We already won the lawsuit. The judge has yet to rule on the damages. If this settlement/agreement goes sideways.
The judge will have no mercy on them and we will be asking for close to $60,000.00 in damages. Every penny we can get.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Ugh. Such bull****. That totally sucks.

I can feel your pain. It literally took MONTHS just to get 3 contractors to bid my garage dirt and concrete work.

I then just needed an electrician to verify my new garage could be run off my existing home service (otherwise Duke wanted to install a new meter, which I needed an electrician to fill out load sheets anyway) and it took 3 weeks of almost begging to get someone to come to my house for a 30 minute consult/verification.

It was incredibly frustrating, but my earthwork is done, footings are dug, and if they pass inspection tomorrow should be poured in a day or two. Then a couple days for block, then my floor.

Just keep at it. Most contractors (even the ****ty ones) are so busy with work they're charging extra and picking and choosing the jobs they want to do.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #832
A little more progress was done on Monday. The foundation is almost near done. The masons came in and installed the last of the block.
I really can't do any more until a plumber does thier work.
Still waiting on some plumbing quotes.
New pic's.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #834
Update.
It has been a strange few days.
Getting plumbing quotes has been a real pain in the last 2 months. Last week I spoke with one of the 3 plumbers that I had come out a week ago on Tuesday.
This particular plumber gave me a quote over the phone and said he could be ready in about a week and a half to 2 weeks.
I ran his company name past some people, including the new foundation contractor. There were no red flags.
A company that does a lot of local work, and has been in business for 35 years.
I called him this past Saturday. I wanted us to try and get together again and go over the final details. No problem he said. We discussed the price again. Since his price was in line with a few other quotes. I said let's get this thing going. Get together and finalize this deal.
On Wednesday. I got a text message saying he wanted to meet in the morning Thursday (today) at 9 am.
I texted back. Not good for me I have to work, I am availible after 5pm. Thinking I would sign some paperwork, give them a deposit and see them in a week or so. Then worry for a week, wondering if they will actually show up and work.

I woke up this morning and got ready for work.
I walked out of my house and a plumbing van was in my driveway.
???
I looked across the street and there is someone digging in the back yard with a backhoe.
???
I look across the street and see that MIS DIG has already been out early in the morning and flagged all the utilities.
???
WHAT IS GOING ON?
I look at my phone and see I missed a text at 8:38 am this morning. It was a text with the quote. Then stated they would start now, they pulled the permit from the city and are starting work.
???.
OK.
Things go from Nothing to Full Throttle in less than 24 hours. I am soooo not expecting any contractor wanting to do work.

I walked over to my other house and said good morning to everyone. After all, they had to move their van so I could get to work.
At this moment I am still surprised.
Of course my mother and step father who live in that house will be gone at 10 am for a doctors appointement.
I ask the plumber when he will need to get in the house. He say's a couple of hours.
So... I go to work for a few hours and have to take the rest of the day off work so I can let plumbers in and out of the house.
Same with tomorrow. The parents will be gone to the doctors, so I have to stay home from work and supervise plumbers.

It was just a wierd day, but productive.
They got the 5 foot deep, ditch dug from the garage to the house. They dug the garage trench. They ran the water and got the OK from the city plumbing inspector on the water. Tommorow they will run the sewer, gas, and rough the 1/2 bath in. Then get it inspected again. Then they are done and gone.
I was 95% sure I was going to hire them anyway. This whole project has been on hold waiting for a plumber.
Then next week, my founation contractor will be back to finish everything. If all goes right.

What a wierd day.
I will post pic's later. I have to listen to Strange Day's by the Doors now.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
AWESOME! You still got plenty of time to get that shell up before winter!

That's what happened to me. Was impossible to get someone to come out, but when they finally did we set up a time for mid/late July. I got a call on the 5th asking if they could start on Monday the 8th. I said sure, bring it.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #837
AWESOME! You still got plenty of time to get that shell up before winter!

That's what happened to me. Was impossible to get someone to come out, but when they finally did we set up a time for mid/late July. I got a call on the 5th asking if they could start on Monday the 8th. I said sure, bring it.
Yup. That is the plan.
Worst case scenario. I don't get the furnace, insulation, or dry wall in before winter. I just need to get it weathered in. That will be 100% better than leaving the Ranchero in a tent and the Mustang under several tarps and covers for another winter slumber.
You can always work on the inside during the cold months.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #838 (Edited)
What a crappy week.
Friday. I got the cars ready for the weekend. It is my favorite weekend every year. Where I take a vacation and go to the Woodward Dream Cruise on Saturday, and Mustang Memories Car Show on Sunday.
That was the plan.
Instead. On Saturday, I woke up at 6:00 a.m. to sever abdominal pain on my left side. I tried to wait for the pain to subside laying on the couch, until the pain became unbearable. At 2:00 pm that day I was in the Emergency Room. Seems I had a 10mm Kidney stone decide to lodge itself in my ureter. They held me over night and I had surgery on Sunday. They placed a stent in me to bypass the blockage.
The only dream cruise I got to attend was being pushed around the hospital on a gurny, half awake due to pain killers, on the way to and from cat scans.
Which is a huge let down, because there were no cats involved at all in that proceedure. LOL.
I am home recovering now, but I have to go back in for surgery to remove the stone this coming Wednesday. Until then it is just a lot of pain.

Last week on Friday I had a little bit of good news. The new contractor actually showed up and did some work. Then disappeared for another week. I got an email from my lawyer today asking about the progress. I told them I didn't know. The contractor doesn't respond to my calls or texts.
My lawyer emailed me back stating that the contractor would be here Fri, Sat. or Monday to finish it all, weather permitting.
We will see.

Well I am already off work sick so I can baby sit contractors if they ever show up.

Here are pic's of what it looks like now.

821 - 840 of 999 Posts