Vintage Mustang Forums banner

861 - 880 of 998 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #861
Finally they showed up today.
Just a few touch up things to do. Such as pull the forms, fill all the block with grout, fix a few blocks, and cut relief lines in the new driveway/apron.
Pic's/

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Wohoo! Looking good!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Looks great Joe and I along with everyone else that have followed your saga couldn't be more happier for you.

Before you know it, we'll all be viewing pictures of the framing work!!

John

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #865
I called the new contractor on Saturday. He said he would be finishing up on Sunday and needed to get his equipment out of the driveway.
Sundays are one of my days off. I had plans to repair the flower bed next to the house, after almost 3 years of the back yard being tore up by this whole mess it was in very bad shape. It needed a complete rebuild. So I spent the day moving around landscaping pavers and top soil. I am sore and tired today, feeling old.
I was very happy that the contractor showed up with his employee. Even happier that at the end of the day, all was done with the foundation. YEAH!
He might be back to help level the back yard, top soil added. I am insisting that this be paid for by the original idiots. There has been so much damage in the back yard that the grade is all messed up. The new contractor seems to think that I will get my way with that. He said I am holding all the cards.
I am very happy that I have reached the point that the foundation is DONE.
Now. I can move on to buying wood, and getting the garage built. Maybe soon get this lawsuit finalized.
I will post pic's later.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #866
Today I exchanged a few emails with my lawyer. He was asking for an update on the work being done.
Tomorrow I have a conference call with my lawyer before he calls their lawyer.
I am kind of expecting for them to pull some last minute bullS!&t.
If they do. If they renig on this settlement. I am telling my lawyer to go for it all. All legal fee's, All my money back, All my costs to date, All the increased cost of materials, etc. This amount is substantially more than what I agreed to settle for.
We will see what happens tomorrow. Hopefully they will just send me the money they agreed to. Then we can all move on.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #867
Right now. The lawyers are meeting with the judge. The judge has to approve the settlement. The last thing to wrap up is the $10,000.00 they agreed to pay me in the settlement.
The judge can over rule this and award me more damages. That would be nice. I am not counting on it though.
My lawyer said they might be given a payment plan, that they will have to pay the dept off before a certain date.
I hope not. This is the settlement they agreed to back in May. They have had several months to get their stuff together. They get NO sympathy from me. I still wish them the worst.
We will see what happens.
It would be nice to move on. The sooner the better.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #868
Update!
The judge approved the settlement, and ordered it to be. So at some point in the next 2 years they will have to pay me $10,000.00. I don't know if they will just pay me off, or drag it out. That is an UNKNOWN.

So for all this time and trouble. Was it worth it? I don't know. I do know, I didn't roll over and let someone totally screw me. I didn't let the bad guy's win.
I am fighter. I have fought my entire life. It would be against my nature not to fight back. At the end of the day I am not eating an additional $25,000. plus to build a corrected foundation.

My estimated cost was around $20,000.00.
That was legal fee's (I don't have a current total) around $13,000.00.
The original $5,000.00 I paid the contractors.
Then Inspection, and removal of the old footings. $2,000.00.

I got around a $25K to $28,000.00 garage foundation, and partial drive way. Then $10,000.00.
All I know is this. I have a foundation, and I can finally build my dream garage. It took 3 years to get this far.

There will probably be a lot of opinions on this. Probably a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking.
In the end. I did the best I could do in this horrible situation. I can live with that.

The only question is this. Do you folks want to continue to see the garage build in this thread? Or.
Do I start a new thread?

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Of course we wanna see it through completion. I'm glad to see you get the W on this, at least the best outcome given the circumstances and that's always a W.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #872
Here are some pic's.
I repaired the flower bed next to the house. I will replace the rest of the driveway at a later date. After I build the garage. It is not a rush at this time.
They did a great job with the grade. The driveway approach slopes down and out to the the old driveway, then to the street. I am so happy I don't have as much clay mud to deal with.

·
Administrator
19,765 Posts
Oh I just DARE you to close this thread before the last nail is driven and the paint is dry! We will come find you and, and,.....help you. Incompetently, but with good intentions. If that doesn't properly threaten you I don't know what will. :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Patrick, I'm pretty sure the original contractor only screwed up the foundation, so those damages are what was sought to recover, not the entire shop. But I've been wrong before.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Ok...so i thought I remembered where this contractor was court appointed and his attorney keeps following up for the progress. Or was all of this just for the foundation?
I'm confused also but it's not the first time. The title of this thread is seriously about as correct as a title can get.

If it takes 2-3 years to get a foundation poured, money should have been spent for a GC.

I wish the OP all the best but just looking at the project, it appears that too big of a garage is trying to be stuffed into too small of a back yard. And if you've gone through this much headache to get to this point, how much stress is left to actually finish it. On most projects, house/garages, the hardest part is finishing it out. Again, all the best.

I'm still not sure what the settlement amount was for. What I mean is how much has been spent and how much has been recovered to get to this point.

Good luck and I hope it turns out well. I hope the neighbors are taking it well...

Allen

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #880
Just the foundation.
They had to pay for all the new foundation, and partial driveway that cost was 25k +. AND give me $10k.
Everything you see in the most recent pics. I did not pay 1 cent for.

On another note. Just rough lumber will cost around $6,000.00. That is with floor truss for the second floor. I am sure the roof and more will bring the rough total to about 10k.

Then I will add the cost of all the other stuff.

Most important is getting dried in. Insulation, heat, drywall is all something that can wait if needed to.

861 - 880 of 998 Posts