Vintage Mustang Forums banner

921 - 940 of 962 Posts

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I completely miss-understood, I thought that the upper floor was going to be built into the "roof trusses". So you're doing an actual full 2nd floor THEN the roof. Nice.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
When I built my garage (also in Michigan) my local building code wouldn't let me go any higher than 14ft (measured halfway up the gable end). I had planned on 12ft walls but had to back it down to 10ft.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #923 (Edited)
When I built my garage (also in Michigan) my local building code wouldn't let me go any higher than 14ft (measured halfway up the gable end). I had planned on 12ft walls but had to back it down to 10ft.
I think we have the same code.
I had to apply for a variance, which cost some money. Like a permit. I had to submit building plans to the city building department, and get copies for the city council. I had to go in front of my city council, during a public meeting, and explain why I wanted the variance. If any neighbors wanted to object, that was the time they had to object. In my case, no one showed up to protest.
Since there are (2) 2 story garages on my block, and numerous large 2 story garages on lot's the same size as my lot in the city. It would have been difficult for them to deny my request.
It was pretty painless.

Funny thing is.
The local Kroger was applying for a building variance to build a Kroger gas station in the city, on that exact same day.
Yeah.
I have been using that gas station for almost 2/12 years now. I should have used their foundation contractor.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
It's looking great. I would rent the lift, as it would save on your back, and you'll get the trusses up more safely.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #925
It's looking great. I would rent the lift, as it would save on your back, and you'll get the trusses up more safely.
That is the plan for Sunday. I moved all the plywood and all the trusses yesterday by myself. Had to make room to get the lift around.
I am worn out, tired, and in pain.
The other good thing about getting a lift is that it will go 10 times faster setting the trusses. We will have the time, and energy to get the floor done and possibly even start building the second story walls.
We can also get the roof lumber staged on the second floor.
A lift will be so worth the money.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'm all about working smarter, not harder. I can't wait to see it completed, as I'm sure you are.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
If you are getting a telescoping reach lift, consider building the walls on the ground and lifting them into place.

If not, be sure to leave room to frame and lift walls on the floor before loading it with roof materials. ;)

It looks great!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
also please don't load all of the building materials in one concentrated area of the floor distribute them around or build some temp walls underneath the point load to get the loads into the slab

·
Registered
193 Posts
also please don't load all of the building materials in one concentrated area of the floor distribute them around or build some temp walls underneath the point load to get the loads into the slab
so the building materials are going to make the concrete fail?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #932
Yesterday I ordered windows. They should take about 2-3 weeks to get to me.
I chose to do it right. I got the good stuff. I purchased Andersen 100 series, they are made of Fybrex. I got (1) double wide, and (2) more singles. The cost was high but they are some of the best windows made. I need these because of the valuable things I plan on putting in the shop. I know cheap windows will not hold up.
Now I have the rough dimensions to build the 2nd floor gable walls.
The cedar shake was delivered. It looks great. The stairway wood was delivered.
I will get back at it tomorrow. I have to cut the truss to the correct length, put a little OSB up, and get most of the 1st floor covered in Tyvek.
Then Sunday start the second floor.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
so the building materials are going to make the concrete fail?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
NO THE BUILDING MATERIALS CAN MAKE THE FLOOR TRUSSES FAIL. IN 69S CASE TRUSSES ARE DESIGNED FOR PROBABLY 40 POUNDS PER SQUARE FOOT AND THEN YOU CONCENTRATE A LOAD 10 TIMES THAT BAD THINGS HAPPEN. SEE LINK BELOW. THIS WAS A COMBO OF LOADING ALL THE SHEETROCK IN ONE SPOT AND NOT INSTALLING PROPER LATERAL BRACING IN THE STEEL STUDS.

https://www.nbc12.com/story/9053638/building-collapse-update-mcbar-industries-built-structure-common-builder-in-chesterfield/

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #934
WIPED OUT.
We got all the trusses up. We got 1/2 set with the floor. Then we staged and evenly distributed the OSB, and lumber needed to build the second floor. Then covered everything because of wet weather on the way.
Then after. I decided I should move all 50 bundles of cedar shake shingles into the garage to get them out of the weather. Alone. That did me in.

More progress though.
Pic's.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Nice work. Curious as to why you didn't want the shingles exposed to the weather as once they're installed, well...

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #936
Nice work. Curious as to why you didn't want the shingles exposed to the weather as once they're installed, well...
True, but they were in the driveway and in the way. Also they weigh more wet than dry. Better to move them now.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I assume it's not practical or required, but did you price up any kind of sprinkler or fire suppression system? Just looking at all that wood and wondering.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #940
It has been raining, windy, and I have been working.
We got all the trusses set on Friday, got the strong backs installed, and started on the staircase. I managed to get a little done today despite the bad weather.
I should have the stairs done and the second floor decking done by tomorrow. I will update with pic's then.

921 - 940 of 962 Posts