Vintage Mustang Forums banner

941 - 960 of 962 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
It has been raining, windy, and I have been working.
We got all the trusses set on Friday, got the strong backs installed, and started on the staircase. I managed to get a little done today despite the bad weather.
I should have the stairs done and the second floor decking done by tomorrow. I will update with pic's then.
goood deal, nice progress

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #942
I will take more pic's today before I run out of light, or energy.
Yesterday I was able to get the lower staircase and landing 95% done. Making stairs is easier than I had made it out to be. I am really glad I made myself learn, and do it the proper way with math. My brother cheats and uses a pre-made stringer as a template. It worked great for the longer stair case span. The knowledge I gained will help me in the future when I decide to rebuild the stairs in the house. I don't know why they made stairs so steep with such little tread space back in 1930.

Then later in the afternoon, my brothers showed up and got 99.5% of the 2nd floor decking done.
Today my brother is going to lay out the second floor walls for me to make next week. Also give me a to do list. He will be away for a week and unable to be help.

I just got off the phone with DTE, the local electric company. They will be moving the neighbors power line over. It is about 2 ft away from the garage now. Too close for my liking but completely legal. They say they can move it to 5 ft away. I feel better about that.

I am considering hiring someone else to do the roofing. I did it as young man, but I don't think I have it in me now. For some stupid reason, probably after my inner ear problem, I have developed a real powerful fear of heights over the years. I used to run around on roofs.
Not for me any more. I know the fear is irrational. Great, now I'm irrational also. LOL.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Nothing irrational about it, that's a long way up! I did the roof on my garage pretty much by myself, sheathing, underlayment, shingles, etc. Spent the better part of a week up there. I can still remember the feeling of relief the last time I climbed down the ladder. I'd come help, but....

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
:lol:

I have to cover about 1,900 SF when I do mine. Not looking forward to it.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #945
Another long 4 days. Next week I start on the 2nd floor walls.
It is getting to the point where going to work is the vacation from building the garage.
Updated pic's.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
nice craftsmanship on the stairs, nice cuts on your stringers, no overcuts on the notches, so often when i go out to look at a project we designed the carpenters dont give an eff and have overcut every single notch because they are too lazy to finish the cuts by hand or set the depth gauge right on the skill saw. they did this on a 20 foot long 3 ply 18" deep lvl on the 5th floor of a condo building we did because the welders had installed the saddle to high. yup they had to replace the beam and hump those beasts up the stairs as the crane had been moved.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #949
Have you had any complaints from the neighbors yet?
Nope. I only work on it during daylight hours. I try to limit my cursing. I don't make a lot of noise. I keep the site clean. I clean up after myself every day. I inspect the site the days I am not working on it.
Not much they can complain about really. All neighbors were notified 3 years ago, by mail from the city, about the proposed construction. They had the opportunity to voice any concerns or protest the construction. They did not.
I discussed the moving of the power line with my neighbor that rents the house next door. I apologized in advance for any inconvenience that this will cause them. He said no problem.
I try hard to be courteous to my neighbors.
With that said. I really would not care if anyone did have a problem. I am one of the property owners on the street that keeps his 2 properties maintained and looking great. I bring value to the neighbor hood.
Too many neighbors do not take care of their properties on my block. It is about 50/50.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Times up Joe! Winter is here, and way early. Third garage I've built with stairs all on the same side? Pardon the mess, it tends to look this way in the fall.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Incompetence is the norm. Only one in four people are truly competent at their jobs. It drives me crazy. The bigger problem is that number includes doctors too. Its a wonder how we muddle through existence.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Times up Joe! Winter is here, and way early. Third garage I've built with stairs all on the same side? Pardon the mess, it tends to look this way in the fall.
Your Mustang is floating!!!

I'm trying to work on mine today, no snow, but it's only a whopping 45* out in SC today. 64 tomorrow.

We literally skipped fall this year. It was in the mid 90's all the way through the end of September, then bam, cold.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #957
I got a little progress done today. In preparation for today's work. I was thinking about, and researching wall jacks this whole week. Well it seems there are many different kinds. Most are very expensive. I came across a wall jack, the Qualcraft model 2601. It uses a 2x4. Well no one carries the darn things in stock.
I called Menards this morning to check availability and stock. At a store an hour away the had 2 that happened to be special order returns. My wife was great and went to get them while my brother and I continued working. The one wall I built in 2 sections. That was easy enough to stand with 2 people. The other wall was accidentally tied together. All 26 feet of it. I have to say. The best money I have spent on tools to build this garage was these 2 wall jacks. The best $230.00 I have spent. My back and arms are thanking me.
This is a must have tool if you are building walls, they worked amazing. I am dreading building the gable ends a little less now. These wall jacks were a real lifesaver. Just a great product 5 stars.
Not a bad days work for 2 old men. We got 2 walls up.
Updated pic's.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #959
Yesterday we did a little work getting loose ends tied up.
Not much we can do today in a snow storm. We can work in the cold. Just not snow and rain.
We did however get 1 thing done today. A new door.
Yes the cardboard corner is still on it. Doesn't matter because that trim is going to be replaced with different trim and the door is true.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Those wall jacks are so cool. Had no clue something like that even existing... I would have totally bought a set. I built my front and rear walls in sections because the headers were so huge, I could have built them on the ground, braced them, and stood them up.

Looking good (and cold!!!)!

941 - 960 of 962 Posts