Vintage Mustang Forums banner

961 - 980 of 999 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Looking great Joe . . . . . I am so glad I no longer have to deal with that nasty white crap.

John

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #964
Not yet. Last week we had 8-10 inches of snow. Then some days of rain.
We got a gable wall framed. Then I discovered that there was something off, and out of square. Too many cooks in the kitchen last week, and the cold may have affected us. The center cribbing studs were nailed into the sill plate in the wrong place.This made the center window opening out of square and threw off the entire center of the wall. It was 2 1/2 inches out of square, but only in the center of the wall. Yesterday I had to take the wall all apart. Which is harder than putting it together. Not my idea of fun to hang off the side of a 14ft wall and trying to remove multiple nails. Then remeasure everything and put it back together. This is all by myself. So little things take a long time to do.
I am just getting around putting it back together square. Then maybe get to sheeting it. Then maybe raise it.
Once this wall is up. I can move all the lumber and OSB over and start on the other gable wall. I have already started cutting the studs for the 2nd gable wall, copying what is correct from the first wall. So throwing that together should be faster. Then setting the ridge, rafters, and sheeting the roof in the next few weeks.
I will update this thread later.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #965
Of course work, and doctors appointments also screw up the schedule.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Ah, I was wondering how you were going to do the roof. You're not going to use trusses, you're building a ridge beam then adding rafters to it.

I've gotten way behind on my build...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #967
Another long 4 days.
On Saturday I winterized my 2 houses. I cleaned all the leaves. I got some things moved to the new garage and off my back patio. Repaired my auto tent. Winterized and tarped my Mustang and Ranchero for thier winter slumber. Then on Sunday I started tearing apart the gable wall. Today I was able to get some help from my brothers. I got the wall made and up. I am glad because storms are on the way with heavy winds. I have at least 1 gable wall up, and braced the heck out of it. It was scary, but we moved slow and safely. I Tyveked the second floor and then laid down the 15 pound tar paper for the cedar shake. Better to do it now than hang off a ladder 28 feet in the air.
At some time early yesterday Detroit Edison came out and moved the neighbors power lines over at least 5 more feet. Now that is out of the way.
I will start on the other gable wall next week if weather permits.
In these new pic's. You will see 2 cutouts above the window header. I needed these openings for the wall jacks. The pieces are already made to slide in.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I know you are trying to do this yourself, but I would consider hiring a crew to get this weatherproof. You're fighting mother nature here in Michigan. We get more snow and you're screwed. Looks good so far though!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #969
Update.
I have not got a lot of progress done on the garage due to the holiday, work, and life.
I did finally get the settlement paper work from my lawyer. It has been signed by my wife and I, and it will be mailed out tomorrow. This is for the settlement payment of the 10k. It has already been signed by the other side.
The part I like.
"In the event that any payment has not been received by the tenth day of the month, for which it is due, WE, may elect to accelerate the entire outstanding balance with 7% accrued interest dating back to the execution date of this agreement".
There is always the chance they will pay me off in full at any time. Starting in January they have to start making monthly payments to me.
This settlement is being watched by the courts, and my lawyer. It would be a rather bad idea for them to default on this agreement.
I may take Saturday off to work on the garage. We will see.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #970
I am back to my usual work schedule so progress has been slow, and weather has not helped motivate me. By the time I get up the nerve to brave the weather and cold I only get a few hours of work in before the sun sets. Tomorrow I will get another portable light and finish sheeting the last wall.
Then hopefully this Sunday I will raise this last gable wall. Then get the center ridge beam set. Once that is done, I can make the 26 rafters, then the overhang, and sheet the roof.
After these last few steps I can call the roofer. I got a great deal from a roofer that did my brothers house last year. He can knock it out in one day.
I got the wall made and 75% of it sheathed with OSB before I ran out of light today. If I keep moving the cold doesn't bother me much. Just sucks building when it is around 30 degrees with snow flurries. It won't build itself though.
It will be a story for the grand nephews and nieces in the future.
I built that garage in the winter, in the dark, with one bad kidney, and frozen butt cheeks. LOL.
Here is one of the last pic's I took.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I'd be too scared to sheet that, that's high!

You're so close, once it's dried in you can crank up a heater and go to town in the inside.

I got the 2nd floor down on mine. I have 12 days off for Christmas. I plan to finish the gables, the eaves, all the permanent bracing, and call a roofer. I just want it dried in so I can start working nights on the interior.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #973
I got some progress done today even with a head cold starting. The last wall is built, sheathed with OSB, Tyvek'd, and the paper is on. The plan is to lift the wall tomorrow morning with help from my brother. Then maybe set the ridge beam. Then I can start making rafters.
I have a kidney operation on Dec 26th. So I need to get as much done as possible before that.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #975 (Edited)
Strange day.
I got an early start. We got the last wall up. We got the ridge beam up. Next I will start building the rafters.
A few hours ago I had 2 Fire dept trucks, an ambulance, and 2 police cars in front of my houses.
Sad, but I believe my neighbor Chuck passed away. The medical examiners just left with someone. I feel for the family.
We didn't always get along as neighbors. I am pretty sure he or his son was dealing drugs. I came to accept that I could not control that and decided to live in peace with him. He wasn't a bad guy. I just disliked all the traffic coming and going. That is city life for ya. I can't afford to sell 2 houses and move so I better learn to live with it.
Anyway. Pic's

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
You're moving now! That's going to be a really nice bonus room to have.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Too bad about the neighbor- hopefully with him gone the situation with the son doesn’t get any worse now. I’ll also say this from the neighbors perspective- they may be tired of what they consider an ongoing eyesore of a project. It looks like you started this thread 3 years ago (!) and there appears to be no end date in sight if you’re going out for surgery and determined not to (or cannot financially) bring in a crew. That’s a long time to impose on your neighbors.
PS- first time I clicked on this and I did not read all 977 post of course, so forgive me if this is all been hashed out already. Best of luck on your upcoming operation.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Too bad about the neighbor- hopefully with him gone the situation with the son doesn’t get any worse now. I’ll also say this from the neighbors perspective- they may be tired of what they consider an ongoing eyesore of a project. It looks like you started this thread 3 years ago (!) and there appears to be no end date in sight if you’re going out for surgery and determined not to (or cannot financially) bring in a crew. That’s a long time to impose on your neighbors.
PS- first time I clicked on this and I did not read all 977 post of course, so forgive me if this is all been hashed out already. Best of luck on your upcoming operation.
@gsxrken It has been drug out that long because he had to take the first foundation contractor to court. They screwed it up royally and he had to have it all redone, he had to wait until the judgement was settled to move forward.

·
Administrator
19,773 Posts
I'm sure some dirt and concrete in your completely fenced in backyard was indeed a terrible imposition on your neighbors. What a bad person you are.
I'm off to barely skim some other very extensive thread and then post some essentially irrelevant off-the-hip reply to it. While STATING that I haven't even read the thread.

OK, no I'm not. Good grief.

Actually I was just thinking I feel kind of foolish. A man I've never even met and expect never will is building something I'll never see and it's just a fairly simple garage behind his house. How can it be that it pleases me so to see any and all progress that I have to check in every day in case there are fresh pictures?
:unsure:

I built my own garage by myself. From a grassy back yard to a roofed enclosure I could park my car in and lock the door took about three years. That was almost 20 years ago and in some ways it's still not "finished". I don't recall a single comment or any evidence at all that my neighbors paid the slightest attention to the construction of it, now that I think about it.

961 - 980 of 999 Posts