Vintage Mustang Forums banner

981 - 1000 of 1000 Posts

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #981 (Edited)
I sometimes do wonder what my neighbors think. Only because I am a considerate person. Even though I can't change anything now. This garage was approved to be built and I am on a course that won't, and can't change. I still care about my neighbors.
Since the actual wood structure has only been in the building process a few months now. I have talked to a lot of my neighbors.
Even spoke with neighbors I didn't even know.
Most of the neighbors directly around me love the garage and are really happy for me that I am moving along after all that has gone on. They know about the last contractor, damages, and law suit.
It is funny. I meet for the first time the neighbor behind the garage. A nice family. The father likes the garage and asked how I was going to side it. I told him cedar shake like the house. He said that will look really nice. I mentioned I might want to replace the back fence this summer if I get to it. The shared back fence is my responsibility. It is old and will need to replaced soon. He said he would love to help and do his side yard fence at the same time to match a new privacy fence.
Then last week. Across the street, from that back neighbor, on the other side of that block. The next street over. A neighbor was calling to me. He was on a ladder decorating his tree with lights. He yelled nice garage. Do you need help getting it dried in? I'll have a beer with you when your done. I yelled back thank you for the offer. I felt weird having a conversation from half a block away from on top of a garage. The wind picked up and killed the conversation.
Another neighbor came over and said she really liked it and that she thought it was amazing that I was doing this by myself.
Just the other day a neighbor stopped by and commented that it looked really good.

Heck. Every time I go to work on the garage. I laugh and say. I can't believe the city let me build this garage this big.
It didn't seem that big on paper. I did not think it would look larger than the house. LOL.
So. I guess I have a responsibility to make it look like the nicest garage in the city.

Well back to work. I have rafters to cut.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
That's awesome!

I've had the same experience. I know the neighbors on each side and across the street pretty well, but ever since I started my garage a bunch of "walkers" have stopped by I've never met before (we live on a private circle road, no through traffic).

I've had a ton of cars go by super slow, even a few that have completely stopped (when they didn't realize I was up in the rafters and couldn't see me).

Like you, only positive thoughts. I figured they must be at least somewhat genuine, otherwise why stop to say anything at all?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #985 (Edited)
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone.
I got a little work done Sunday. Not much though. I have been trying to get over a sever head cold before surgery this week. I didn't want to turn the cold into something worse, so I have forced myself to take it easy.

Yesterday I got word that the settlement agreement was placed on the record, and finalized by the Judge. So next week I should get my first payment from the contractor. The first monthly payment of $416.67 is due 1/1/20.
The ball is their court. We will see what happens. They could drag out payments for 2 years. They could pay me off in one lump sum. They could even be stupid and screw this whole deal up by missing monthly payments.
We will see, and I will keep you all posted.

As for the garage. I will get to it when I can. I get real busy during the holidays with work, and family. Then my helpers have holiday plans also, so that slows things down a bit. I will post more pics when I get further along with the rafters. I got one rafter cut and ready, but need at least one other helper to get it in place and double check the fit. Then I can copy and make 22 more. It is much harder to maneuver a 15 ft long 2x12, 14 feet in the air, alone, than you would think. I just have to be smart and wait for helpers.

I took this pic from my house across the street. You can really see how high, and large the garage is getting. Notice the center ridge beam. That was real fun setting into place. Had a couple of sketchy moments with that one.
Click on the pic to see it larger.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Monthly payments? That sounds ridiculous...they're insurance didn't cover it? I thought I was up to date on the fiasco, but must have missed an earlier post.

That shop is gonna be great though!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Monthly payments? That sounds ridiculous...they're insurance didn't cover it? I thought I was up to date on the fiasco, but must have missed an earlier post.

That shop is gonna be great though!

Yea, I thought he had been paid and was wondering why he hadn't hired a contractor to get the garage dried in before winter?

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Butting in, but if I read correctly, they (or their insurance) had to foot the bill for the removal and re-installation of the footings, so that's over and done with. $416 over 24 months is about 10K, my guess is that's extra for "you a-holes screwed me out of having a garage for 2 years" and maybe to pay for legal fees?

Looking good. Hadn't seen a whole pic of the house before, it has a very cool look to it, I like it. The garage is going to look great matching it.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #989 (Edited)
Just to clarify because I can't remember what page I posted it on, and don't really feel like searching for it.
We won the lawsuit on a technicality.
This meant we won, but a damage dollar amount had to be determined.
The judge ordered arbitration to determine an amount for a settlement. If a settlement was not reached he would then have to issue a judgement and decide the damages to award.
We went to arbitration.
My lawyer advised me, and we negotiated a settlement.
I took my lawyers advise to settle for a little less, because there was NO sure bet that even if the Judge awarded me every single penny I wanted for damages, that I would be able to collect from the bad contractor. I could chase him for years, only racking up more time and legal fee's doing so, and still not have a foundation to build my garage on.
I could still be chasing the contractor for money.
So a deal was negotiated. The deal was that they pay ALL of the expense to hire another contractor to build a NEW foundation, exactly to the new spec/code, and a new drive way approach. That cost was over $22,000.00. AND then give me another $10,000.00.
They payed another contractor to build the foundation. That was Step 1.
Step 2. Was they pay me $10,000.00.
We have agreed that they have completed Step 1 to the satisfaction of all the parties. Now onto Step 2.
What I did not know was that our court systems usually will give most people a payment option. Probably to keep people from defaulting on large dollar amount settlements.

So I got a brand new super foundation and driveway approach, and $10,000.00.
I got a little less money, but the foundation is done and I am building on it now. Better than not having a foundation.

The plan to build the rest of the garage has always been this.

That I would build it with help from my brothers who are very educated and skilled at building houses and garages.
After waiting for over a month for a plumbing contractor, and my experience with the 1'st contractor, always waiting on the second foundation contractor.
NO WAY IN HELL, am I going to hire another contractor. Except for the family friend electrician, that will just pull a permit and inspect the work I do, and the roofer. I am not creating more problems by hiring another contractor. It is a crap shoot to get a good one. Everything that I can do myself, I will.

As for being dried in. I am almost there. People build all year long in Michigan. It is no big deal to shovel off snow and keep building. The progress seems slow now, but soon I will have this stage done.
I think I am moving pretty fast for an old guy, working on it an average of 2 days a week. With one bad kidney, and NO prior experience building a garage. Just will power and a little help.

Next. I will move onto doing the electrical. After electric is done and inspected. I will then get it insulated with closed cell foam. I have a guy lined up for that now. He just did my brothers house. I have seen the work and it was top notch.

After that stage I will start getting the heat, drywall, and inside paint going.

By the time spring arrives. I should be doing outside work. I will put up all the Western Red Cedar Shake, trim, and paint.

Then by summer I will probably be finishing the workshop on the 2nd floor and moving all my junk into it. Also build the 1st floor 1/2 bathroom. A little landscaping, and pouring the rest of a new driveway will be on the to do list also.

The plan is to have the shop all setup and working on the second floor, and the cars moved into the garage by Fall 2020.

That is the plan. Life always has a way changing those plans. So I will just continue to do what I have done from the start of this thread.
Adapt and move forward.

I think we are all caught up.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I just hate hiring people to do work for me, because I'm usually pissed when they're done and I think it sucks, then I have to call them back. The second story of my house was just a shell, completely unfinished...no insulation, wiring, plumbing, HVAC, framing, nothing. Just exterior sheathing. I even had to pull up the OSB subfloor, sister up every floor joist, and reinstall new subfloor...properly this time. The only parts that I didn't have to redo were the parts that I did which were everything except the mechanical (minisplits), plumbing, window installation and dry wall mudding and taping. But I had to have the installers for each of the aforementioned come back at least once to make something better.

I am going to be tiling the shower up there now and really don't want to do it...would just rather write the check. But I know if I do that I won't be happy with the work they do.

·
Registered
9,180 Posts
I just hate hiring people to do work for me, because I'm usually pissed when they're done and I think it sucks, then I have to call them back.........would just rather write the check. But I know if I do that I won't be happy with the work they do.
I feel your pain. Only contractor I was ever 100% happy with was my roofer. They did a fantastic job and the price was quite reasonable. I'm about to get quotes on some sheetrock work that I plain refuse to do, it's in the stairwell, so no, just no. I'll have them do the upstairs bathroom and one of the bedrooms as well, since they can do it in 1/20th the time it takes me. I'll then just go over it and fix any minor issues that bother me.

Funny story, I just finished painting the exterior of the house this fall and had replaced fourteen of the thirty windows with new construction types over the summer. The remainder were all newer replacement style. Had a knock on the door one Sat a couple weeks ago and there's one of the Renewal by Andersen canvassers standing there, offering me a free quote on windows. I said sure, take a look. Not once did he ask how old the windows were, or anything to that regard. So he throws me a quote that's basically $1200/window for a $200 ~ $300 buck unit, including all the windows I just replaced. I then asked him why he was quoting on windows that did not need to be replaced and were four months old. The guy was pretty speechless, so I politely wished him a Merry Christmas and told him to leave.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #993
Small update.
Just got a message from my lawyer. They are forwarding me a check in the amount of $3,000.00 for part of the settlement agreement. It seems the contractor wants to pay this off faster than the minimum monthly payment. That is good for me.
My wife helped me a little on the garage yesterday. I was able to get ply wood over the window openings and get a new tarp over the top of the garage.
With my brothers busy with life stuff, and me recovering from the past surgeries. Not much can be done on the garage at the moment.
We will resume work on the garage as soon as we can.
Let's hope for a better new year.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
At least it's covered up! Mine has been under tarps for quite a while now too. Mother nature can't seem to be able to string 2 dry weekend days in a row here for the past 3 months. Mon-thursday? Mostly great weather. Fri-Sun? It's going to rain 1-3 of those days :LOL:

I'm at the point I can start installing sheeting, but I need a couple dry days in a row to make it worth taking the tarps on/off.

keep recovering and don't jump back into it too fast!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Hope you are recovering nicely. If many of us were closer we could have a weekend barn building party! If I come back up for the Woodward Ave dream cruise I would love to swing by and see it finished! Which reminds me, I have to look up that shed of doom thread over on the garage forum.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #996
Mini update. I had surgery last week. Things are looking better. I have future follow up appointments and CT scans coming up. No more stents for now. I have been recovering this past week.
The check cleared. LOL.
Today I got a better master template made for my garage rafters. I made 3 rafters and got them up today. I got the tarp back up, ready for more snow to destroy it more. Then on Tuesday I can get some more rafters up with help. I had needed help from a brother because I am not superman and still recovering from the last surgery. The damn rafters are heavy, and I am out of shape and weak.
No reason to add a pic. Slow progress a little bit at a time.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Glad to hear you're up and moving around and the shop is moving forward. I know you don't need me telling you this but don't over do it. It'll get done when it gets done.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Glad to hear everything is going ok with the health.

Just keep plugging away.

It won't stop raining here. Over 15" since Jan 1st. That's our normal average through the end of April. I was sick for almost 3 weeks with some kind of nasty sinus infection so I've gotten a whopping 3 sheets of plywood on the roof between the rain and sickness :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #999
I will post some more pic's tomorrow.
On Sunday, my brother and I put up 15 rafters, and got some strong back bracing up on both sides. We have the right side done and 5 rafters installed on the left side. Only 9 left to put up. Tomorrow I will try and get to building the soffit ladders for the gable ends.We will see. I am pretty sore, tired, and beat up from the work we did on Sunday.
I should try and take it a little easy though. I have to wake up early for jury duty on Wednesday.
I can't wait till we get the ply wood on the roof. Then I am calling my roofer.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,000
New pic's.
Getting something done. A little progress. I decided I am going with 10 ft ceilings.

981 - 1000 of 1000 Posts