Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1041 - 1060 of 1069 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,041
Thanks.
I got most of the trim up today despite the cold weather and snow flurries.
pic's.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,042 (Edited)
More slow progress.
Had to get the roof over the door done before I got too far into siding the cedar shake. I still have to install the ceiling in it, and paint it. It has primer and shingles so it is ready for the rain the next few days. The 4X4's I used I bought years ago and I used them to support the old garage walls. I saved them when I tore down the old garage and now they have been recycled into the new portico.
Pic's.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Your garage is looking really good. Nice to see how it is coming together after all you had to go through with the garage.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
It's shaping up nicely. It's hard to imagine this was a four year process.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It's shaping up nicely. It's hard to imagine this was a four year process.
I thought, no way, it's been like 2-3 at the most. But yep, this fall will be 4 years.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's now past 4am and I made it through the entire saga [so far].

Good job, Joe. Not just on the the garage build, but the entire project and dealings with EVERYTHING.

Phew, you made it through the medical system just in time! I had even forgotten about CV until I started getting closer to present time and that's right, crap is closed right now!

Back to the title of this thread, that caught my attentions originally: yes, INCOMPETENCE is far more rampant than CV [even with the "liberal counting of case"]. Not everyone, but holy smokes, a LARGE portion of this population does not care about the quality of their work, their professionalism or respect. Can you tell my dad was a tradesman? Owned his own flooring business running multiple carpet, tile and linoleum crews [this was the 70s-90s]. He was doing all the high end, really high custom jobs for law firms, mansions etc, while his crews were doing most of the mass production, residential stuff. I started working for him when I was about 5 years old, he'd pick me up after kindergarten and take me to the job site. I started out picking up scraps and then graduated into fetching tools and so on until I could actually lay my own carpet, linoleum and tile. Now I'm an IT guy, go figure huh. But he also taught me use my mind over my body. But I carry those values into daily life, it makes me who I am and I just happen to be successful at doing good work. It fathoms me how a human, with the same mental capacities as any of us, could allow themselves to not have pride in their work.

But anyways, super long rant over. Keep up the good work, Joe. You're an example.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,050
Got a little more done.
Pic's.

·
Registered
72 Posts
my dad built swimming pools for years, with me and my two brothers as his crew. and i have never seen such poor forms.
idiots.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,052
New pic's. Slow progress because I am a perfectionist. Some of this was pretty detailed work also.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
You're going to have more in cedar than most have in the entire garage! Awesome!

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,056
It has been a long and tiring few weeks. I got done putting cedar shake on one side. 2 1/2 sides to go. It is damn hard work doing this alone on a ladder 20 feet in the air. It is really testing my nerves. I haul up a bucket of Cedar shake shingles and hook them to a ladder rung. Then fight with the air hose on my stapler. Trying to balance, hold a shingle, staple the shingle. It is a slow process. I have tried several different methods of doing this, none are easy.
Finally got done with one side today. I will install the back 2nd story window tomorrow with help from my brothers. Then on to more cedar shake. I might do all the easy low stuff first.

1041 - 1060 of 1069 Posts