Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 Mustang with standard suspension. After reading everything I could, I thought I had it all figured out. I order from tire rack a set of 15x7 (with -6 mm off set) American racing VN105 Torq-Thrust D. For tires I order 215-65-15. Just got these delivered and they look huge, from everything I read these should fit. Did I order the wrong size?

I currently have 205-17-14.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
I have a 65 Mustang with standard suspension. After reading everything I could, I thought I had it all figured out. I order from tire rack a set of 15x7 (with -6 mm off set) American racing VN105 Torq-Thrust D. For tires I order 215-65-15. Just got these delivered and they look huge, from everything I read these should fit. Did I order the wrong size? I currently have 205-17-14.
The wheels you ordered have a backspace of 3.75" but optimum for your car is 4.25". Whatever you put on them is going to "stick out" 1/2" further than recommended. In back that might not pose any problem at all but in the front you may expect tires to rub. There's nothing wrong with the new tire size you chose, in fact it's a good one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I call tire rack and talked to the tech support, and talked to them about the back spacing. His response was basically this is what we recommend, if they don't fit we will take them back. I'll give then a try and see what happens.
Can anyone recommend what the min distance I should have between the side wall and the fender? From what I under stand these tires are .5 in wider, so with the extra .5 in from the wheel these new ones will be .75in closer the fender.

Also will this change how the car handles?

Thanks,

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would swapping the wheels to a 15x6 with the back spacing of 3.75 fix the clearance problem?

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
As mentioned with a 15x7 wheel ideal backspace is 4.25 . However you can use what you have but a 215/60/15 would be a better fit (And put a little more rubber on the road) Maybe @Huskinhano will stop buy a share his details and some pics

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Would swapping the wheels to a 15x6 with the back spacing of 3.75 fix the clearance problem?
Have you found a problem? Have you had these for 2+ days and not tried them YET?
They can fit, I have some 7"wide 3.75BS wheels and had 235 tires work for a while. Fender adjustments and wheel alignment can make a 1 inch difference at spots. You have to try and see what YOU have to work with.
Min clearance will also vary with springs, shocks and alignment.
You never know what MAX is until you've gone to far

·
Registered
21,335 Posts
@2nd 66 brought this to my attention. Those tires may be a tad too big. Every car is going to be a bit different but those rims and tire size is definitely pushing it. I run 215/60/15 on those wheels. I have a non coil over Street or Track suspension. My upper arms are lowered 1". I run 1.125° negative camber. For springs I have the .620" with half a loop cut off. Bilstein Sport shocks and rolled my fender lips. My front sits 24.75" floor to lip. I still get a little rubbing on my driver's side.

With the Arning drop, some negative camber at a more normal ride height, stiffer springs you may be ok. You can get a idea on how it'll look from this photo. Yep 2nd 66 behind me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts