Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Dimples
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s about 100 degrees here in sunny North Texas. Feels even hotter. We’ve got too much to do on my daughter’s car, so it’s time to get creative. I would have gotten a single larger unit, but my in-laws had these two 5,000btu units new in the box, so I’m giving them a test drive.

After an hour, it’s down to 83 degrees in the garage. If I had fired these up first thing in the morning, they’d easily keep things nice and cool.

Off to work!

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
What did you use for the boards?

Reactions: Blues Power

·
Dimples
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$12 worth of foam insulation board from the hardware store that I cut down to shape. It’s .8 inch thick. I have some at the top of the door too. It’s not a perfect seal but it’s doing the trick from an effort:result standpoint.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Great idea! 110 degrees here but only 95 in the garage. My door looks the same but insulated. Also above the ceiling. Seems to take awhile for the heat to get in but once it does it's held in.
Is that drywall around the A/C units?

Okay. You just posted. Foam insulation board.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I was going to work on mine some yesterday but I turned the AC on too late and 2 tons of AC isn't enough for my shop even with it insulated.
One picture I sent to a friend in Chicago of my weather station... 98* 57% humidity and a heat index of 119*. At one point the heat index was over 120 because of that rain we had the other night. The high yesterday was 105 after that pic was taken... Today is the same as yesterday.

I turned on the AC earlier and piddled a little with stuff. I was going to prime what I blasted before the new quarter goes on but... I remembered the cartridges for my respirator don't work since they were 3M knockoffs. (very good copies) and I can't get any new ones so I ordered a fresh air supply for my mask which is way better than any filter.

·
Registered
1965 Mustang, 302, C4 and 9 inch
46 Posts
Same issue here in Oakdale, CA.... I can work on the car in the morning only. The garage temp hits 90 plus by 2:00-ish.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Same issue here in Oakdale, CA.... I can work on the car in the morning only. The garage temp hits 90 plus by 2:00-ish.

When the heat finally gets here in TX daily temps are 90* by 9am and it won't drop below 90 till after midnight and the lows might eventually hit 80* right before the sun comes up. So take that into consideration when your company wants to move here. The tax climate is great for businesses but the outdoor climate isn't fit for human habitation.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
It’s about 100 degrees here in sunny North Texas. Feels even hotter. We’ve got too much to do on my daughter’s car, so it’s time to get creative. I would have gotten a single larger unit, but my in-laws had these two 5,000btu units new in the box, so I’m giving them a test drive.

After an hour, it’s down to 83 degrees in the garage. If I had fired these up first thing in the morning, they’d easily keep things nice and cool.

Off to work! View attachment 760165 View attachment 760166
Thats so cool. Well, sorta cool. Add another unit and it'll be really cool!

Good idea. I added an 8000 btu window unit to my 700 sq. ft garage today, It dropped the temp in the garage from 84 to 78 in an hour. Not ideal but much more reasonable to work in.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
100? Pfft, rookies... 😅 🆒

Nice hack with the wall AC units. (y)

Y’all are probably too humid to use one of these. Which is ironic because they’re made in TX.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Northern tool carries swamp coolers here I haven't a clue why anyone would buy one as they don't work here. We are 101* and 47% humidity. A swamp cooler would just make things worse. Your humidity is only a wonderful 8%. We are in Fort Worth which is where the desert begins so we get the heat and the humidity. Just a little to the west it's scrub land and rocks and to the east on the east side of Dallas the green and trees start.

·
Registered
743 Posts
It does get warm in Oakdale. Took this while I was cleaning out an unfinished garage attic/storage space.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice job Blake. I did something similar for the bikes. Garage is too big to keep cool $$$ so I built what my son calls the YETI. Made an MDF sandwich with some 1” foam board. Alum channel in ceiling allows for quick dismantle. Parked a portable A/C in the corner and vent through wall. Stays about 80° in there when the rest the garage is 100+

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I was given this portable A/C unit by some friends who were moving. I had to order the hoses and window vent. Hoping it can handle the FL heat and humidity

Attachments

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
I don't even have a garage at my current house - just a carport - so I sweat a lot, curse a lot, drink a lot of water and just work anyway. I work in front of a big shop fan if I'm being still long enough. It's friggin hot. And humid.

·
Registered
7,087 Posts
I'm very fortunate, as my garage is connected to the lower level of the house. If I open the door to the garage from the house the "spill-over" AC from the lower level of the house, floods the garage keeping it a comfortable temp. The mid-Atlantic states can easily get 95-100º days. I have double insulated garage doors and spent a bunch of time a few years ago "foaming" all around the doors and insuring they fit as tight as one can make them. This has paid off with keeping the heat out inf the summer and the heat in during the winter.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts