Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think that weather station is making you miserable. Lol. Like they say, ignorance is bliss. All I know is it’s hot and that’s enough for me. Knowing how hot/humid it is would just piss me off.

Nahh The weather station just reaffirms my hatred of living here and my drive to get out to somewhere that is hospitable to human habitation. Course when daughter finally has kids then we will be moving ASAP. We were looking more at it again due to daughter spending most of her time at her boyfriends but the current bug situation has put it on hold again.

·
Dimples
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Nahh The weather station just reaffirms my hatred of living here and my drive to get out to somewhere that is hospitable to human habitation. Course when daughter finally has kids then we will be moving ASAP. We were looking more at it again due to daughter spending most of her time at her boyfriends but the current bug situation has put it on hold again.
Dang, that's pretty harsh man. The heat is surely a bit of a hardship, but I've never shoveled snow in my life and I'm good with that. Seems like a fair trade to me.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm around Phoenix too. How much does such a set up typically cost? How much more is electricity?
I bought it for $1800 delivered, and I installed it myself. I got it w/o the AC lines since it was replacing one that finally gave out after 15 years. You can also get mini-splits that come precharged, but they have 25 foot lines and don't come any smaller.

PM me if you need more info.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
929 Posts
Those portable units are not very efficient and often iffy. It wants to be on a dedicated circuit.

Here is a picture I just took of my weather station. It's flat miserable here. No reprieve till thursday at the earliest. View attachment 761131

So we don`t get the temps here,especially at 4 in the morning,but my humidity is always higher than that..........it did get to 72 today.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I've been in a last minute scramble to fix some unforeseen engine issues with the RV we're supposed to be taking on vacation. I have been suffering doing chassis type work on it. But now I can crank up the rooftop AC, pull the engine cover and lie/crouch over the engine and work in the cool like that. A first for me. Definitely makes the mad dash to get it done or else a bit more bearable.
A/C aside, there's nothing worse that working on a Motorhome! Its an arm scraping bear and every time you drop a tool... I just did a water pump last August 90 degrees out - how bad could it be - right??? Crawling under - then up into the right front wheel well to stuff myself into position to get to the front of the motor was one of my all time worst jobs ever done on ANY vehicle I have ever owned over the too many decades I have been work on vehicles. BI musta gone from inside to outside stuffed into the wheel well 20 times just to get it out. It went back in much quicker after I had things figured out. Belts everywhere and of course the waterpump belts are at the very back up against the block, so everything had to come apart. Luckily, because they do almost all highway miles, they are pretty amazingly reliable - even for a Brand X - gotta love that 454 with an Allison overdrive transmission. What a great combo.

Chassis work is always fun lifting a 20000 pound rig wrestling with wheels that only two young men should be manipulating. The scarry thing is that after doing rear brakes, front brakes and wheelbearings NOW I find out my Harbor Freight jack stands (Big ones) were dangerous.:eek:

Hang in there brother...

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
A/C aside, there's nothing worse that working on a Motorhome! Its an arm scraping bear and every time you drop a tool...

Hang in there brother...
LOL... I remember installing a phone in a motor home. Roof mount antenna mounted above the drivers area, ladder to access the roof was on back of motor home and 2 feet off the ground. Climb ladder, run to front and drill hole. Feed some cable through, down ladder, run to front, climb in, find and pull slack out of cable. Rub back to ladder, climb to roof, run to front, feed more cable. Go back, down ladder, run to front, climb in and pull slack from cable. Repeat 10 times.
Thigh muscles throbbed! ha ha

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
100? Pfft, rookies... 😅 🆒

Nice hack with the wall AC units. (y)

Y’all are probably too humid to use one of these. Which is ironic because they’re made in TX.
What size garage are you using this in? My garage is 35x22 with about an 11 ft ceiling and just wondering if it will help for mine. I am in the Upstate of South Carolina just south of Charlotte.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Im ready to install a WP, to dang hot to open the garage door and go out there. Maybe early tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
What size garage are you using this in? My garage is 35x22 with about an 11 ft ceiling and just wondering if it will help for mine. I am in the Upstate of South Carolina just south of Charlotte.
It’s 450 sq ft. For a swamp cooler to work your humidity needs to be at the most 40% or less else it just blows hot, wet air back at you. You’ll also need to ventalate it to recirculate the air somehow. They have several different size units. We can do over 1000 sq ft here with a bigger unit. Except when a monsoon blows through our humidity is low, 5-10% or so the norm. During a monsoon we turn them off, too much humidity for them to work.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
It’s 450 sq ft. For a swamp cooler to work your humidity needs to be at the most 40% or less else it just blows hot, wet air back at you. You’ll also need to ventalate it to recirculate the air somehow. They have several different size units. We can do over 1000 sq ft here with a bigger unit. Except when a monsoon blows through our humidity is low, 5-10% or so the norm. During a monsoon we turn them off, too much humidity for them to work.
View attachment 761515
View attachment 761516
Case in point based on this information. The weather where I am currently at now is 80* at 3pm with 74% humidity, so I guess one of these would help. Sq Ft of my garage is around 770 so something like this one from HD may work as it says it's good for 1600 sf or so. Hessaire 5,300 CFM 3-Speed Portable Evaporative Cooler (Swamp Cooler) for 1,600 sq. ft.-MC61V - The Home Depot

The company I work for has a climate control division so I may grab one of our rental units to see how it performs in the space before investing in one.

Thanks for the help (y)

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,456 Posts
I keep enjoying being cooled by my swamp cooler at work in spite of people saying that it doesn't work in our high humidity. That said, mine is the smaller one and I get benefit from being directly in the flow of air. I have never actually tried to use it cool any sort of square footage. If I can't stand in the air flow from it I turn it off. In more moderate weather I use it just as a fan.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Necessity being the mother of invention and all...
Hot and HUMID central North Carolina and a two car garage I pretty much turned into a good sized one car shop. I couldn't see my way clear to a full blown HVAC system for it so here's what I did: I cut a hole in the outside wall, high up, and put a thermostatically controlled attic extraction fan up there. Then I cut up a plastic garbage can and put that over it, a generous opening on the ceiling side for air flow. The fan/thermostat is wired to power below and also to a switch I put next to the garage door. The switch can be turned on/off manually or it also turns on when the door is raised open more than six inches or closed less than six inches. (I put a rubber flap on the door to flip the switch on/off.) Then I put a full sized screen door on the entry from the garage to the house, pets in/bugs out, that's where the heat or A/C to the garage comes from. I also insulated the attic above and then the garage door with styrofoam panels. I envy those who have complete climate controlled garage shops so I had to find a way to make do best as I could figure out inexpensively. The bottom line is I can work in the garage in relative comfort year round, where before it was freezing in winter and stifling hot in summer. I guess this officially makes me a cheapskate though. :)

61 - 72 of 72 Posts