Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I've been around the world and experienced some of all kinds of weather, love living in Alabama except for the Dog Days of Summer heat and the [email protected]əd mosquitoes. When it's cold you can layer up. When it's hot you can't take enough off. And in my work, wearing a ballistic vest and a bunch of equipment on the body, getting in and out of a vehicle (even with AC) all day is something I won't miss upon retirement. It's hot. But at least it isn't 120 with 70 pounds of ruck, helmet and NVG knowing for SURE somebody is trying to smoke me.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I've been around the world and experienced some of all kinds of weather, love living in Alabama except for the Dog Days of Summer heat and the [email protected]əd mosquitoes. When it's cold you can layer up. When it's hot you can't take enough off. And in my work, wearing a ballistic vest and a bunch of equipment on the body, getting in and out of a vehicle (even with AC) all day is something I won't miss upon retirement. It's hot. But at least it isn't 120 with 70 pounds of ruck, helmet and NVG knowing for SURE somebody is trying to smoke me.
I was in the Navy 4 years ('75-'79) and there are much hotter/tropical places I've been. At least those places had a good breeze most of the time...except for massive typhoons. You will love the state retirement when you retire, it's the best thing going. (I sure love mine after 34 years) Other states have patterned their retirement systems, after it. I guess we win at something! You can convert your military service into it also, if you haven't checked into that. It sure seems to be more dangerous than ever, for an Officer out there! Be safe always! Thanks for your service to the people...:grin2:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Thanks for your service to the people...:grin2:
You're welcome ! I can't imagine doing anything else until the Good Lord tells me to. I have 22 + years in and yes, Alabama's RSA is the envy of other states thanks to wise investments, and successful board assignments, legislation and lobbying to protect it. I hope I get to serve many many more years.

Now, I can tell you that some days and nights are better than others, I will NEVER say I have seen it all, but I will say I have seen a lot of the best and the worst of life and it is a LOT harder in extreme weather. Today was a late day, dealing with some of the worst, and it doesn't help when you're outside in the heat with 100% humidity, and lightning in the area. Still, I would rather be out there so somebody else doesn't have to be, and on the off chance I could make somebody's life a little better. My family pays a price in my absence, too. But little things like Mustangs and old cars bring us back together for quality time and help me meet people in my community outside of work.
Did I mention it was hot?

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Yikes! My temp gauge only goes to 85.
On the coast in SoCal all my life.

But the way things are going here politically, I may have to join you.
Just don’t know if I could ever get my temp redline over 85; dry heat or not, no matter.
As for snow, forget about.

Maybe I will try to stick it out in the land of fruits and nuts just a bit longer.
Wish me luck.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yikes! My temp gauge only goes to 85.
On the coast in SoCal all my life.

But the way things are going here politically, I may have to join you.
Just don’t know if I could ever get my temp redline over 85; dry heat or not, no matter.
As for snow, forget about.

Maybe I will try to stick it out in the land of fruits and nuts just a bit longer.
Wish me luck.
Sure doesn't look good with the earthquakes lately. A big one might be just around the corner. :surprise:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
A Big One could be around the corner for anybody.
Mother Nature and The Man Upstairs wait for no one haha!
Fires, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, Nor'Easters, earthquakes, lightning, wind, draught, volcanoes, blizzards, and heat waves...and the opposite sex ! ! !

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
A Big One could be around the corner for anybody.
Mother Nature and The Man Upstairs wait for no one haha!
Fires, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, Nor'Easters, earthquakes, lightning, wind, draught, volcanoes, blizzards, and heat waves...and the opposite sex ! ! !

After spending most of my life split between southern California and Northern California, I know the petrifying fear instilled by that first sensation of ground movement knowing you may be in the Pacific in seconds. Don't miss that one bit. We don't really have any big ones here in Upstate NY, well maybe that opposite sex one but one has to admit, they do come with an upside, the big question is how long it lasts...

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
For some reason the actual earthquakes have never bothered me, but the aftermath was something one just has to deal with. I was working in Los Angeles the night of the Northridge quake, felt it for sure but it didn't cause me any anxiety. Any maybe two or three other quakes happened while I lived there.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
After spending most of my life split between southern California and Northern California, I know the petrifying fear instilled by that first sensation of ground movement knowing you may be in the Pacific in seconds. Don't miss that one bit. We don't really have any big ones here in Upstate NY, well maybe that opposite sex one but one has to admit, they do come with an upside, the big question is how long it lasts...
Yeah, that upside is the only thing going for them, otherwise I'm staying far away. And the rest don't bother me. I think natural disasters are afraid of me, I can't buy one to come visit.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I was in a refinery in the Bay Area (Shell Martinez) when Loma Prieta hit. Not a good place to be but, thankfully, little issue. North Idaho today. Should be about 10 degrees higher.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts