Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or probably too much stuff
I was looking for a transmission crossmember and I know I have a few around here, somewhere... well I must have hunted a good half hour before I finally found one, where else? Bolted to a tranny still of course :rolleyes:
The one good thing to come out of it was finding a good original fender I had tucked away :biggrin: I was looking at the other pile of fenders, doors trunklids and hoods a few days ago and could only find one decent fender. I knew I had 2 :rofl:
Am I the only one with this problem :peeping: :joker: :joker:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
When ever I can't find a part that I know That I have. I'll buy a replacement, and the missing part will always turn up. :wall:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I lost a brand new control arm last week. Took me all day to find it. And I'm supposedly organized!

Now I think I should make a filing system to keep track of where I put stuff.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I lost a brand new control arm last week. Took me all day to find it. And I'm supposedly organized!

Now I think I should make a filing system to keep track of where I put stuff.
I had a pair of upper ball joints, I found one...
Ended up buying another pair. The new ones are better anyway :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I have a '71-3 battery tray that I lost last year and it has yet to turn up. I know I had it because I can remember wire brushing the label off of it and repainting it. I had to buy another one to finish the last car I was working on.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I even found a halfway decent set of seat tracks while I was looking today. I was going to buy some 'cause I thought I needed them :p

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I see no problem with this at all, at least you KNOW you gottem, they are just missplaced.
there may be a problem if you baught a 3rd one because you forgot you baught one two other times before, i knew someone who had done this several times, i just forget who it was.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My problem might could just be at least partially blamed on a kind husband who calls himself cleaning up in our 3 car shop/garage. Then when I resume my work the next day, I spend half the day locating my parts and hardware. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I automatically assume someone stole it. (just a guy thing.)
Then go stomping around the house until some one says, "Is this it?" :wall:

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I try to put things in a "safe place". Unfortunately, it's such a safe place that some times I never see the part again!

Dean T

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
My husband is just as organized as the rest of you.
My 64.5 Indy Pace coupe has been apart, completely stripped and sitting sideways on a rotisserie for three years.
Some of the parts have been refinished, some are originals that were collected specifically for this car, others are brand new replacements, but most are old and gritty and worn and dirty.
There are parts to INDY in several different closets, with the water heater and furnace! some shelves and cabinets in the garage! in the spare basement bedroom, in the little nook under the stairs, on shelves in the laundry room, and in the storage shed (with thousands of goodness knows what parts?)! or stacked on the patio, and laying across a few of the other cars or in their trunks! There are even car parts stored in the upstairs shower stall!
Since he took the Pace car apart, he has worked on numerous other cars.
I'm just praying none of my precious original 64.5 parts went away with the other cars he's since sold, or were given away with other stuff he junked.
I also have a sneaking suspicion that many of these junk parts that have been stored hither and yon all this time will be replaced with newer or better anyway...
Yup, you've accurately described the scene at the Epperstang Stables!
J.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
No hoods and fenders, but just built a garage for the pair of ponies and moved 45 boxes of parts from the bedroom closet, under the house, the shop, and about every other nook and cranny I had available... I found stuff I didn't know I had! And stuff I replaced because I either "forgot" to buy it or thought it was lost!
Kinda like Christmas all over again! ::

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Yeah, I has the same problem. I would spend half an hour looking for a part I knew I had, then I'd just give up and go buy a new one. Took less time than finding the part I owned. So, one winter I spent two months of evening ans weekends organizing every part I had. Small parts in boxes, sorted by use, location, large parts in the rafters grouped together by car or type. Worked really well 'til I moved all the parts to my house, which only has a 400 sq ft garage.

Now I have parts in every outbuilding on my property, in the attic, in the crawlspace under the kitchen, in trunks of cars, etc. I have stuff everywhere and I can't find half the stuff I'm looking for, again....

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Thankyou God, for giving me the gift of disorganization(new word?)! Recently, had "friends" from out of town drop in while in Fl. Actually, looking for lodging for a day or three! :rolleyes: Fortunately, my "guest room" is crowded with boxes of parts. :: Everything is clean, but all Mustang! A queen sized bed with two consoles and other things are not easily removed! :no: There are three quality motel/hotel places nearby. They stayed awhile, said they'd check out one of the places. Haven't seen them since! Like I said, Thankyou God! :highfive: :rofl:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Maybe we all have ghosts or gremlins ( not the car ) that keep moving all our stuff when we aren't looking.

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
All parts that will fit get stored in the trunk of the car they are going to be used on.

However, I nominate my garage for the WORST GARAGE of any garage on this site, too much junk (see my previous post) but it is looking better. Found a 351C 4V engine I have forgotten about during one of the clean ups.

My mom took my SWMBO to be to the garage before we got married, and told her it will never be any better, will be worse, and you will never park your own car in the garage. Period. No matter how big a house you buy, no matter how many garages it has, he (me) will always have more cars than that. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Have not let her down yet. :sniping:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I too have the same problem. I have way too many parts stored wherever I can fit them. I spend a lot of time hunting for parts that I know I have SOMEWHERE.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts