Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, bout to drop the motor back in but I thought id run the cam by yall to get some opinions. Anyways, here's whats been done: .040 over, forged TRW's, new valve springs, valve job, port/polish, 2500 stall and soon roller tip rockers... I was thinkin about one of the Crane energizer's : 228 [email protected], 284 adver., .512 int/ex lift

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Sounds like a good cam, has wide lobe centers (112) so it should idle ok and have a wide powerband. You probably know that headers and good intake will be required. The ported heads will really help!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
In short, no. There's really no such thing as too much cam, as long as the engine and other components are matched and similar performance wise. Let us know what your "goals" are for the engine/car and then let mus know some more specs, rearend(size/gears), intake(manifold/carb), heads(valve sizes, roller anything?). As with any cam choice calling up a manufacturer like crane or comp would always be a good idea but they are usually busy and they expect you to have everything ready for them. Have the above ready at least. One big thing you will want to to is the effective operating RPM range or your components, idle -5500? 1500 - 6500? 2500 - 8000? any of those or probably something in between? let us know, im sure someone can help.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
In short, no. There's really no such thing as too much cam, as long as the engine and other components are matched and similar performance wise. Let us know what your "goals" are for the engine/car and then let mus know some more specs, rearend(size/gears), intake(manifold/carb), heads(valve sizes, roller anything?). As with any cam choice calling up a manufacturer like crane or comp would always be a good idea but they are usually busy and they expect you to have everything ready for them. Have the above ready at least. One big thing you will want to to is the effective operating RPM range or your components, idle -5500? 1500 - 6500? 2500 - 8000? any of those or probably something in between? let us know, im sure someone can help.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
It is hard to know without knowing the rear end gears.

I prefer the split duration cams to help make up for the poor flowing exhaust side of Windsor heads (even when ported)

The cam will give you a noticable lump at idle, but nothing too radical.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
For best compromise between performance and driveability, run a 3.50-3.70 rear end gear...I ran up to 4.62's with good results; these little engines like to spin *G*

Low end torque might suffer a bit, due to reversion, if your CR is in the 9.0:1 range....better if it's closer to or above 10:1...

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Don’t mean to be controversial but you can have too much cam. It depends on the combination. A relatively small, low compression and low RPM motor will not run well with the cam you described. That being said, I have not run that spec before. Understand that your MPG will not be good and 228 duration @ 0.50 is aggressive for a mild motor. It is hard to build cylinder pressure when the valves are always open. This can be a problem if your CR is under 9.0:1 or so. Would be better with over 10:1 or so. High flowing intake and headers will be required to take advantage of your cam. If you plan to cruse South Houston, then you might want to consider something closer to 220 duration and back off a little on the lift, say .495. Else if you plan to go to Baytown for the 1/4 track, then get a 3.5:1 or lower (higher number) rear gear. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts