Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha. I finally broke down and purchased a new toolbox. Now, to transfer all my tools over. I'm looking for how you folks keep your box organized - i.e. is there a way to keep the screwdriver and pliers drawers from not looking like a game of pick up stix. What do you use to keep your sockets and wrenches organized? Any other helpful hints would be appreciated.

Mahalo,

Harry Z

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I recently got a new tool box, too. For tools like pliers and screwdrivers I will eventually cut the shapes into foam so that the tools stay in place.

For sockets, I like the plastic Hansen socket organizers like these:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Buy the tool box liner, helps keep the tools in place if you accidentally slam the drawer. I fan my screwdrivers out with all the tips all touching. Between this and the drawer liner, it keeps them from moving around.

I have a bunch of the typical spring slip socket rails, those are good for the stuff I don't use all the time. For the most used items, I like the Mechanics Time Saver magnetic socket holders.

https://mechanicstimesavers.com/pages/magna-caddys

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
You might look at the wrench and plier racks on Amazon .

·
Administrator
19,644 Posts
I use the Hansen socket trays for my most used sockets. Some swivels and such don't fit those and are on magnetic or clip type rails.
I like pliers racks.

I like these really basic type wrench racks for bigger and odd wrenches because you can fit them to what you actually have. Some good 3M double-sided tape secures them to the drawer.

For my commonly used wrenches I REALLY like these trays.

I have a big plastic thing that a very complete set of of imitation Craftsman screwdrivers came in from years and years ago. Though it fits nicely in a drawer lately I hang it on pegboard. It is stocked with the "A" screwdrivers. The B and C grade I just have floating in a drawer with picks and other odd screwdriver shaped things.

Some people like to do more but organizing these works for me . The rest of the stuff simply has a location it's supposed to be in. Sawzall, angle grinder, big drill, paint guns, and such I find hang well on pegboard hooks.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I use both the post and twist type socket racks. i haven't got a drawer deep enough available in any of my boxes until I reorganize for the pliers racks but plan to add them. I use the holes in the sides of my roll cart for the screwdrivers. These days I generally use a ratcheting screwdriver handle with an assortment of bits. I use some of the plastic trays that come with the tools from the truck. I use wrench racks as well.

Orange SAE, green metric.

Except for the loc-a-socket rails you can get the the others from Hansen off of Amazon. That's who makes the ones on the truck anyway.

1/2" and 1/4"

3/8" The three posts are for deep, semi deep and shallow. Love the semi deep.

The Loc-a-socket posts, started using them a while back for 1/2" and misc 3/8". They are easier to transport but stupid expensive.

Congested wrench drawer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mahalo for the responses. I haven't had time to look closely at all of these, but I am definitely learning about items I had no idea existed (pliers racks0.

Harry Z

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
My tip to you as I ran into the same thing..... When you transfer the tools from the old box to the new, move a solid set, but leave all the triples and quadruples of the same tools! I'd accumulated so many over the years that I hadn't even realized my drawers were chock full of the same crap! I had something like 42 screwdrivers, 19 pairs of pliers, 50 some punches and drifts, etc. I think I put together 4 full sets of 5.5mm-26mm and 11/32-1 1/4" wrenches in open, box, short, and angled! I didn't pitch anything- actually ended up making room and putting the new box next to the old one, but at least the new drawers aren't overfilled! lol

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
I like the Torin socket rails. A 1/4 turn and they lock on the rail and the rail has a magnetic strip on the back so it will hold onto the car. They're about $15 a rail.

Just like Gypsy I use the same wire rack for my pliers.

And I made a rack for the crescent wrenches.

I bought a rack for my combination wrenches from Harbor Freight and had to cut it to fit.

My screwdriver drawer is still a mess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts