Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where would I find the tool to remove this plug so I can tie-in my recently installed power brake booster. Appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
762 Posts
Looks like you ratchet should go in there but there’s no room, so put an extension on it with no socket on the end...can’t tell how big it is either 1/4 inch ratchet or 3/8 doesn’t look bigger than that. Just a guess

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Looks like a 3/8" ratchet would work from the pic if there's enough clearance

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I agree on the ratchet as your best bet. What manifold is this? Most manufacturers put a port in one of the rear intake runners. It would typically be the location used for power brakes.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,427 Posts
I bought a set of "square drive" 3/8" drive sockets for just such fittings. But 90% of the time I just use the 3/8" size which (as already stated) is the same size as your 3/8" ratchet and extensions. So except for a very rare few fittings I didn't need the set. That one appears to be a 3/8" so just a ratchet and extension should do it like everyone else said.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
ditto on the 3/8" ratchet thing. Same plug is on my T-5 and that's what I use.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 3/8" extension is too big and the 1/4" is too small. I have a 5/16" square socket coming from Amazon tomorrow. I appreciate the replies.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
The 3/8" extension is too big and the 1/4" is too small. I have a 5/16" square socket coming from Amazon tomorrow. I appreciate the replies.
IIRC, it was Peugeot that had a 5/16" square plug in one of their cars. I made one by grinding down a junk 3/8" extension to 5/16". Still sits in my toolbox 25 years later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts