Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s time to reorganize my tool box. Let’s see how you guys are setup, especially the socket drawer!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
wow you guys are so neat.
i have 5 dry wall buckets full of tools.
one SAE sockets one metric, one miscellaneous, one Sae Wrenches one metric wrenches

when i need to work i just dump one on the floor and go at it . that where the'll end up any ways

at least i keep that in part order.

and I keep my Torque wrenches in my bedroom closet

·
Registered
546 Posts
I like the socket organizers with the little posts as they have the size clearly marked on the top. I got mine from Sears, but I'm sure you can find them elsewhere. Example:

·
Administrator
19,773 Posts
I use about everything, as you can see.

My favorites are the Hansen holders. But not all sockets have a through hole so you have to go with other options too. Open trays aren't bad, just take up too much room. Magnet rails just don't work as well as I'd like. The pastic twist lock ones are too annoying, I don't need that much security in a toolbox that doesn't travel. I keep going back to the old cheap stainless spring clip rails. The issue with them is when you grab a socket sometimes it picks up the whole rail. The solution is to pop rivet the rails to the drawer. Once you're SURE they are where you like them.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I use about everything, as you can see.

My favorites are the Hansen holders. But not all sockets have a through hole so you have to go with other options too. Open trays aren't bad, just take up too much room. Magnet rails just don't work as well as I'd like. The pastic twist lock ones are too annoying, I don't need that much security in a toolbox that doesn't travel. I keep going back to the old cheap stainless spring clip rails. The issue with them is when you grab a socket sometimes it picks up the whole rail. The solution is to pop rivet the rails to the drawer. Once you're SURE they are where you like them.
That's a great idea! I had had the same issue but didn't think of that. I just chucked them all. My drawers are less organized than any of these. I'd need another/bigger box to achieve this.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Found a pic, mine's a mix just like Gypsy's. I hate the spring clip rails, but I had them lying in a drawer and just put them to use when cleaning up the toolbox.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
I use the Hanson racks for all of my sockets, and I think Hanson racks for my wrenches.
Now I need to find something for my pliers. They take up way too much room.

·
Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
Lots of impressive set ups there guys!

·
Administrator
19,773 Posts
I have some multi-rail socket trays like this so you don't have to resort to riveting them down.
I bought one of those. Took up too much room and wasn't customizable enough for me. I gave to a co-worker who loves it. But he will take the whole rack out somewhere where I just take individual sockets as I need them. Different styles of equipment suit different work habits.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The center post trays with the size marked on the top make for easy finding.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts