Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
The problem I have with store bought racks is they don't allow for a few duplicates needed at once and they don't handle wobbles well. Hated using those snap rails one handed.
My scrap DIY. A more detailed person could do much better but not for less $$
Like never having too many tools you can't have too big a box so I gave up. Tired of opening/closing drawers all the time A long way to go cleaning my wall up, need a bunch more magnetic strips and will save the box drawers for more seldom used things
KIMG1569.jpg
KIMG1566.jpg

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
PS These were packing for a set. Hate to just trash them if someone wants them for shipping cost. Guess 10-12$. They are thin, kinda flimsy. Might be back reinforced with some expansion foam.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I needed a 12 point deep well socket the other day and realized I didn't have any. Looks like most of you are in the same boat I was...

Allen
I purposely don’t get 12 pt unless I need them. By default the low profile sets I have are only 12 pt with some others as needed.

·
Administrator
19,773 Posts
I have few special purpose deep 12's and a full boat of the shallow ones. Most 12's are for speed. You sacrifice some ability to grip a fastener as a trade off for speed. With 12's you can normally just slap that socket down and the great majority of the time it will go right on. Versus how with a six point you usually had to fiddle the ratchet a couple of clicks to get a the socket to seat. The speed of 12 point sockets is highly valued on production lines. If you've ever had to winkle a fastener out of a spot with very little access and only had a six point wrench to work with you probably suffered enough to highly value some 12 point wrenches. Same concept with the sockets.
Exceptions being the 12 point fasteners where you have to have a 12 point tool for them or else. I don't really know what's up with those. I've considered that they use them just to annoy heck out of me personally a time or two.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
A 12 pt fastener allows for higher torque with less chance of rounding the head due to more contact area on the fastener head. You can also recess them easier in a design if needed. My 12 pts are pretty much specifically for things like head bolts and other drive train parts. In the olden days before I became a tool ho I remember rounding or slipping off more than one hex with a 12 pt socket. That said I wouldn‘t get a combination or box wrench that wasn‘t 12 pt.

The last two 6 pt socket sets I bought, semi deep both 1/4” and 3/8” SAE were a new, tighter tolerance socket that also works well with rounded hex bolts. Some guys think it’s a gimmick but I think they work well. I didn’t set out to get them but both were part of a couple BOGO offers the truck has every month and I needed semi deeps. Any other chrome 6 pts I get will be FDX.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I actually need to pick up some more 12-pts. for one little known reason: They work great as a tight access tap or reamer handle. The right sized 12 pt. will usually work on anything with a square drive shank.

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
I need to buy a dozen 1/2” and 10mm wrenches and a dozen 3mm allen wrenches. They always seem to disappear out of every tool box. Rarely use the metric stuff, but they’re never there when needed!

Mark

·
Registered
8,602 Posts

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Note to next shopping list- STUBBY RATCHET WRENCHES!!! Just installed a T5 short shifter,3 of 4 bolts only accessible from underneath with little room to spare inside top of tunnel. Live and learn.

Tip for cheap tips, along with buying any 1/2 or 9/16 with a name brand I see at junk sales I snag every 1/4 I see, even no-names. All those star and torx tips they add to sets to get the # count high. Super glue together and BOOM. Cheap socket tips. I do the same with commonly used Allens.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Lately I have been filling the holes in my sets. We have a Snap On dealer that drops by work once a week, but I don't wrench professionally so it's not worth it to me to buy new. I get all mine at the swap meets, spent $75 last fall on about $500 of miscellaneous Snap On & Mac items.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
A +1 for stubby ratcheting wrenches and tap sockets. Lisle has dedicated tap/chaser sockets for about $30 a set. The new Icon line at HF seems like a good value. They’ve got the stubbies in both for about $100 bucks a set.

I use those same wrench organizers in the above post.

·
Administrator
19,773 Posts
What we're doing wrenches too? OK. I REALLY like that red wrench tray thing at the other end. It even has an extra gap or two for the oddball duplicates.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts