Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. All Original (never mind the pop bottle windshield washer fluid reservoir, lawn chair bucket seats, bright green paint, rust covered cheapo chrome air cleaner, flex hoses, and that rear wing on that 65 fastback)

2. Rare (since it was the only car made with the VIN 8R01T156297, it is simply rare. The 200ci sixpot engine is also INCREDIBLY hard to find and those coupes are the rarest of the three body styles!!!)

3. Great Condition for 30 plus years old (if you can look past the upholstery that seemed to have been attacked by a scissor happy three year old and cleaned up with bleach, the Fred flinstone type of floors, that beautifuly faded paint, leaking gas tank, and that annoying knocking sound coming from the front of the car. Heck, I'll even throw in the ant colony that has made this car home!!!).

4. One-of-a-Kind (See Rare)

5. No-Rust (Because there is no car left from it!!!)

6. Minor Repairs needed (Transmission only goes in reverse, probably a shifter linkage, Knocking from front end, probably an exhaust leak, random fires springing up behind dash, easily remedied with a decent sized fire extinguisher)

7. Actual Miles (Yup the odometer says 43,000 true miles. So what if the dash was replaced and the odometer set back to 0 a few years back on an already driven to the ground car) (On an added note, I especially love the guys who have the Mustang that actually does have 40,000 original miles and think it is worth something. Of course, it is in 5 times as worse of shape as a car with 5 times its miles!!!)

9. Complete!!! (Missing the driver side fender, passenger side fender, both doors, windshield, rear glass, door glass, engine, transmission, shifter, seats, dash pad, package tray panel, interior quarter panels, rearview mirror, side mirrors, rear axle, master cylinder, front spindles, upper control arms, lower control arms, radiator, springs, wheels, tires, front and rear valences, grille, headlight buckets, brake and accelerator pedals, headliner, decklid, driver side quarter, tail light panel, tail lights, back up lights, front and rear bumpers, hood, bumper brackets, sun visors, headliner bows, kick panels, wiring harnesses, carpet, underlayment, parking brake cables, brack lines, fuel lines, and title... But it is rare).

9. Must See to Appreciate (Amazing how a car hitting on only 5 cylinders with a cracked block, next to nothing oil pressure, and with oil pouring out the pan can even back out of the driveway with a rear end that has nearly half of the teeth on the ring gear broken off.)

Last but Not Least...

10. Reserve Not Met!!!

Just Thought Of One More...

11. Ready for Restoration (Yes, it sat for 15 years lying in the bottom of a shallow, murky lake waiting for some unfortunate soul to drag the car out from the unforgiving depths. Then after removal from the lake, awaiting its rebirth it lurked beneath a large oak tree with the remains of a rickety shed fallen upon its caved in roof and broken glass with a large section of soggy carpet protecting the sheetmetal from the elements, leaving a nice patina of rust in its place. Then it was moved into the middle of a vast, empty, cactus infested desert where the sun dried any drop of moisture from the metallic carcass as any remains of paint and color were singed away as any usable parts were slowly picked off. Finally, on its way to the boneyard it fell off of the back of the tow truck and flipped end over end across two lanes of traffic, where it was finally rescued by some mindless fool. Yes, my friend, I assure you, this car is ready for restoration!!!)

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Let us not forget "Daily driver quality" It doesn't have to look good just function. Ignore the rust hole in the fender or hood as it will bolt on and function.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
It seems that everyone has forgotten the most used phrase of all.......

I'm selling this for a friend/relative/neighbor, and I am not sure of all the details......

Gary......::

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,213 Posts
My favoites for auctions in general:
WOW!=seller is a moron
LOOK!=seller is a complete and utter moron with no concept of the use modern communications. Likely works part time marking windshields for used car lots.
WOW! LOOK!=seller is borderline braindead. The same people that nail 1000 signs up in a 10 block radius of their house saying "HUGE Yard Sale TODAY!" And six months later the tattered remains of these signs still proclaim the news of the long over and forgotten Saturday morning sale which was rained out anyway.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Don't forget:
rust free! (no charge)
Original condition..(ain't fixed nuthin' ....ever!)
Restoration started..(dissassembled)
restoration nearly complete..(I didn't lose too many parts when dissassembled)
Was told it was off of a Shelby....( by an idiot, I know better, but he DID tell me!)
Excellent restoration project..(EVERYTHING is broken, rusted or missing)
Never had time to finish...(300 years!)
Runs like a bat out of hell...(Funny burnt hair smell, lots of squeeks, most people are repulsed by it, ugly as hell)
Email with any questions.(So I can lie in a non public forum)
Lots of spare parts..(didn't know where they went, might even be Pontiac parts)
Solid...(unable to start restoration, see above. Or rounded off the heads of all the bolts)
Must sell..(police red tagged it a week ago)
You must pick up..(I ain't getting my tractor stuck again) Don't ask how I know this one.
Lots of NEW parts..(still didn't make it run better, i give up)
New sheetmetal ready to install..(shame it doesn't fit)
Taken off of a Shelby....(honest, it was sitting right there on the trunk!)
My Moms car...(Got 27 tickets in it too.... age 55....speeding, evading arrest...crashed it into a house, license
revoked, need bail money)
Clear title...(you just need to find the 3 kids of the guy I got it from, before he died, and have them sign a few papers)
Restored part..(painted)
excellent restored part...(painted, no runs)
concourse restored parts...(painted the right color, no runs)
I could do this for a while. Most of these have actual truth behind them.
Bruce (TX)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Prime exaple #2426090518
GREAT FOR ELEANOR/SHELBY CLONES! = im a greedy SOB and trying to milk that damn gone in 60 seconds and that shelby's name is utterly priceless to some when on a glove box! :p

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Yeah, my personal favorite is "Shelby 3spd knob" I saw last week.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
The really sad part? Are people buying this stuff?

Don't forget this one:

"WAS WORKING WHEN REMOVED" - Bought it from a guy who told me the same thing. No one who is alive has seen it work for 10 years. or: I removed it, but because it was working so well, I decided not to put it back on.

Slade

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't forget these:

"People point and stare when they see me coming" (plastic surgery may help)
"Ran when parked" (in the Nixon administration)
"Ready for restoration" (now that it has properly aged, or now that the owner who let it sit for 30 years has died)
"No visible rust" (it's all hidden - that's how he ended up with the POS)

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Yeah, No Reserve auctions really [censored] me off. Especially when they use the buy it now thing. They'll say No Reserve. Put a buy it now on the item for like $450, then set bidding to start at $400. There is a guy trying to sell a 200 CI from a 79 fairmont for that exact scenario. I emailed him and told him I got mine fore $100, and I OVERPAID for mine. OF course, he's been trying to sell it now for a month. Some people just don't learn.

Slade

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
What about "85% restored". Not 84% or 86%, but 85%. What is that supposed to mean? And why is the percentage always a high number, like 80% or 90%? You never see one advertised as "40% restored".

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You must pick up..(I ain't getting my tractor stuck again)
That one was so funny, I laughed out loud and everyone in the office looked at me.

My personal favorite:

CA rust free car (cause it doesn't rain or snow anywhere in CA ever)

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Yep - there's a guy right now selling used Fox Body coil covers with a great "Buy It Now" of $21.99 each plus $12.00 S&H. (Item number: 2426936623 )

You can buy new ones for $14.95 from several vendors.... :p

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Couple more-
98% complete - If there are 10,000 parts to the car, 200 are missing!
Frame-off restoration- USED A BIG CHISEL RESTORING THIS ONE!
Numbers matching- Couldn't find correct mustang parts so they substituted GM parts. :p

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just thought of another for frame off restoration...

12. Frame off Restoration (I swear, the body actually rusted right off from the frame!!!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts