Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a top hydraulic cylinder that is leaking from the top part of the cylinder. Can this be fix or is it best to replace? Also who has the best price and quality replacement hydraulic cylinder part?

Thanks

You can veiw pictures of my 66 Mustang Convertible at http://communities.msn.com/StevesMustang&naventryid=100

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I had the same problem with my '65. I found some o-rings that were about the right size but this turned out to be a stop-gap fix. It started leaking soon after I put them in. In my opinion it was a waste of time. I bought new cylinders from Hydro-electric. It has been over three years and no leaks. They are pricey but they work well. I replaced both cylinders at once as is recommented. If you don't one will move at a different rate than the other which will stress the top mechanism or the cylinders themselves. Good luck.

...modified '65 convertible...

G

·
0 Posts
I have the same problem. There is no way to rebuild the cylinders, they are one complete unit. Break out the check book!

Michael Wigton
1964.5 Mustang Convertible

G

·
0 Posts
I'm pretty sure that late model (pre 95?) cylinders are a direct replacement. I have a NOS set I "aquired" ready to try, but I haven't taken the time to measure the old ones yet. The eyelets are identical and the stroke looks to be the same. The slight case difference would be hidden under the inner quarter panels. Anyways, before spending the money on new repops specific to the classics, research some more to see if the new style will work. Might save you a lot of money.

Chris

'67 Conv. 289 C-code Frost Turquise
'99 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4
'01 Ford Escape (wife's car)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts