Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for someone with Top Loader Trans experience, I'm looking for a trans to fit a 428 69 Mustang, I have access to a 69 Fairlane Cobra Trans with Shifter, and access to a 69 Mustang small block top loader also with shifter and linkage, can I use the tail shaft and shifter off the mustang trans to make the Fairlane Trans work with the right shifter location for a Mustang? I have also been told that I can use the small block trans with a small block clutch, will this hold up behind a 400Hp CJ? Or Should I just try trading off the transmissions I have for a correct FE Top Loader..Thanks for any advice Jerry

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Just use that Torino trans and shorten your drive shaft.
The 69 Mustang CJ trans had a Fairlane tailhousing with an adapter plate to relocate the shifter rearward to the correct location.
No matter if you use a factory big block shifter or aftermarket Hurst it will work on the Torino trans.
You will have to grind one of the undrilled bosses down a tad but that's the only problem you'll have.
The Torino trans will be the cheapest route by a long shot (if it's in good condition). Check it out here
http://toploaderheaven.com/buying_used_toploaders.htm
[email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts