Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the weight of a Ford RUG AE1 top loader.

And how would you ship one across the country?

Thanks

·
Registered
36,488 Posts
You'll be looking at about 125 by the time you get it crated.

Insure the heck out of it. We were expecting one via UPS 100+ shipping one time, all that showed up was the label.

·
Premium Member
13,183 Posts
'65 Shelbys had an aluminum case T10 if you're wanting to save weight.

I believe the general consensus is that Fastenal has the best shipping rates.

·
Registered
10,085 Posts
Never shipped one via UPS. Don't know that I would even attempt that..... knowing
what I do about their shipping. (which I did for both JBA and Global West)

Last one I shipped out I got a quote from a truck freight company. It was fairly
cheap.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
A couple of years ago, I sold my Toploader and associated parts (shifter, cross member, mount and boot) when I did my T5 conversion. I crated it and shipped it. The total shipping weight was about 140lbs. IIRC.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
A couple of years ago, I sold my Toploader and associated parts (shifter, cross member, mount and boot) when I did my T5 conversion. I crated it and shipped it. The total shipping weight was about 140lbs. IIRC.
VERY nice. I had a member ship me the close ratio toploader I have in a thick U-Haul shipping box that was lined with the following https://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-Panels-FOAMULAR-1-in-x-2-ft-x-2-ft-R-5-Small-Projects-Rigid-Pink-Foam-Board-Insulation-Sheathing-PP1/203553730.

Got to me safe and sound.

I think he found the method online somewhere if I remember correctly. May help the OP in shipping the transmission.

Allen

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I've also used that (or similar) foam to ship other parts an it worked well. I've never seen the heavy weight U-haul boxes but will definitely look into them. Thanks

Reactions: Turnall

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
had 1 shipped to me from flint area in a box made for t5 by fedx but had to pick it up at their location- too heavy for driver to handle alone. Wes

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
The OP asks about shipping a specific transmission across country and is getting responses about different transmissions? What am I missing? If he has a RUG AE1 to ship, what difference does it make what any other transmission weighs? :shrug::shrug::yoho:

Allen
just stating the facts :shrug:

·
Registered
37,651 Posts
The OP asks about shipping a specific transmission across country and is getting responses about different transmissions? What am I missing? If he has a RUG AE1 to ship, what difference does it make what any other transmission weighs? :shrug::shrug::yoho:

Allen
Maybe he can use some of those bags of air but, instead, fill them with helium?:pirate:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well you could call Dan Williams (TOPLOADER TRANSMISSIONS) and ask him since he seems to know everything about toploaders, ships them out all the time, and LOVES to talk! You'll probably get 45 minutes of interesting stories and then some good advice.

Heck you're in Georgia, don't know where, but the drive up to Franklin, NC is pretty nice, I can attest the trans can be lifted into and carried in a car's trunk, and my guess is he'd be willing to crate and ship it for you. Don't show up before noon lol :)

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Ditto on Fastenal.

Station to Station is pretty cheap, all things considered.

How NOT to:

I bought a top loader, bell, fly, shifter rods, T handle, everything.

Box 1 arrived: It was a Walmart type paper towel box with a ton of tape. Trans and shifter inside, no padding. 2 big holes, one front, one back, from sliding back and forth. Front bearing retainer cracked, T handle broken. FedEx driver ticked off, as oil was everywhere in his truck.

Box 2 arrived the next day. Bell housing and flywheel. No padding. Flywheel roamed loose inside the bell housing, like a slow motion saw, chewing the inside of the bell housing apart, 10,000 aluminum shards.

Box 3 (same person), Lawn mower box, for a 1965 AC system. A little padding, but the cast iron brackets and compressor were loose, and the fiberglass cased AC unit was shattered. The condenser was taped to the outside of the box with a single piece of cardboard over it (It did not survive).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts