Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend called me today, asking me to try and sell his 1968 4-spd. top Loader for him. It came from a smallblock 302 Mustang, and when I asked how much he wanted for it, he said $750. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

He did say it is in excellent shape, and is complete with shifter, linkage and bellhousing. I'm thinking this may be a little on the high side, and when I said so he seemed to think it wasn't.

So honestly I don't know as I'm not on the market for one. Is he asking to much or are they really going for that!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I've got the same one (out of '68 small block mustang) that has been rebuilt, as well as the bellhousing, but the shifter is Hurst Comp +. It has been rebuilt with about 2 years of use since the rebuild.

It would take about $750 to get the whole mess from me and that's only because I don't see any use in the forseeable future.

Don't tell SWMBO that you'd give $250 though as she would probably sell it while I'm out of town!

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
i paid 500 for mine and it came with 68 shifter and what someone told me was a cobra jet bellhousing because it has a hump in it for the bigger clutch disc. also has a z on the bellhousing i dont know if that makes a diff. probably mark at toploader heaven would know

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Check with Dan Williams Toploader Transmissions. I think he will give $900 for a good one.

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

·
Registered
419 Posts
I paid that exact amount for a 67 TL with a Hurst Comp shifter and speedo cable. I was glad to get it. The big difference is whether the TL needs a rebuild or not. TL that need work or are unknown usually go for around $400 at the swap meets that I frequent.

Vintage stuff ain't getting cheaper!

Jeff

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Art,

Actually I made the post so I could print out all the replies, and give it to my friend tomorrow when I see him, to show him what the general Mustang enthusiasts has to say about the price, especially if I happened to be correct! At this point the census is showing about 50/50, so NO it was not creative marketing since I had other intentions, and YES I have already posted it over in the Parts section For Sale. So now that I have mentioned that! I guess you could call THIS reply "Creative Marketing" since I gave a leader to where it's for sale and how you can get a hold of me! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
419 Posts
I want my cut Whiz!

Jeff

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
They are expensive, because they are practically bulletproof. They are beyond superduty. The T-5s made today still aren't as tough. Big block toploaders are even more desirable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts