Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just daydreaming about swapping out my C4 for a manual trans, since I won't be able to do it for quite a while (read probably never). What, in the collective wisdom of the VMF, would be a better swap? I like the idea of 5 gears over 4, but aren't other modifications are needed (driveshaft shortening, tranny braces, etc) with the T5 that are not needed for a vintage 4 speed?

68 coupe - Soon to be daily driver (I hope!)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have a stock four speed (T-10 not a top loader). I will be making a T-5 swap by the end of the summer for the following reasons: Gearing. I have the tallest gearing available, and the car still revs too high during highway cruising. With the overdrive fifth gear, that problem goes away. Additionally, I will be able to lower my gearing to a more responsive 3:55/1 (from 2:80/1) and still just chug along during freeway driving. In my mind, the drivability is enhanced so much, that it is worth going through the effort of making the change. Just my .02 cents.

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571656&a=12306481&p=42935059&Sequence=2.jpg

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
This may be a unpopular answer. I like the old fashioned toploader. The people
I ask at the track about the T5 say they don't use the fifth gear on course, only
on the street to get to the track. The toploader is cheaper for me to use. I seam
to find them for a good deal. I have two that I bought with a Hurst shifter for $300-
$350 resp. The toploader is also stronger but, a T5 can hold up if you don't bang them
around the track. I know some people who have very good luck with the T5. I will stick
with the toploader for a while. I may go T5 someday, or a 6 speed!

http://home.earthlink.net/~myradpc/_uimages/turn7.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~myradpc/_uimages/turn1.JPG

·
7,012 Posts
Shannon is of course correct...HOWEVER, after much thought I have switched my tranny of choice to an AOD. My car, like yours has a C4. Now don't get me wrong, I love manuals. In fact I've owned two vehicles with T5's in my life and enjoyed them both. But, switching from an automatic to a manual opens up a couple of worm cans. First you'll have to find the pedals somewhere. Second you have to figure out how to do the clutch linkage. The cable setup looks like the way to go, but the pictures I've seen showed a great deal of underhood clutter created my this huge cable sticking out of the firewall, extending all the way to the shock tower before it turned and went back down to the clutch. Yuch!

An AOD is more expensive than a T5, but if you ever do sell your car it might add to its value. And you'll solve the problem Shannon points out with the .67 final drive. In my case, I could switch my 2.79 rear axle to 3.50 gears, and pick up a lot of effective torque AND decrease my highway rpm AND increase top speed. This is definitely in my future somewhere...but a long way off right now.

Now if my car HAD a manual now...that would be a very different story. Then I would go for the T5.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Phil

'65 Convertible (with many mods.)
http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/Pony.htm

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
If you are not concerned about originality, go with the T-5 for the previous posters remarks.

[color:blue]68 GT500</font color=blue>
[color:green]68 1/2 CJ Coupe</font color=green>

MCA# 18519

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm sure you've seen this page, it helped me a bunch:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09/t5swap/index.shtml

The swap from an auto to a manual (I'm doing this right now, as we speak, at this very moment, from a C4 auto to a toploader in my 68 coupe) is not really all that tough. You just have to get the parts. So far, the hardest piece to find is the new "brake pedal for power brakes with manual tranny." And your exhaust has to allow for the z-bar.

If you need any assistance with this swap (whether it be to a toploader or T-5), post another question and we can get all our VMF knowledge together!

Thespazardman

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
How about Tremmec, is it the same as T5?
Go for the 5.

John

[color:blue]66 coupe 289 2v C4 needs restore</font color=blue>
[color:blue]70 coupe 351W 2v c4 almost done (?)</font color=blue>
[color:red]71 coupe 302 2v C4

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
If you're going to go through the hassle of converting to a manual tranny like I did, might as well get overdrive for the effort :)

Sure, there are a few extra things you'll need to get, but they are relatively inexpensive and easy to find.
I feel the 5 speed Tremec is by far the best mod I've done to my car.

[color:red]1966</font color=red> [color:blue]V8</font color=blue> [color:red]Coupe</font color=red>
http://www.geocities.com/2bav8
5 speed, 4.11s, 10.13 in the quarter mile.
Oh wait, that was a Sammy Haggar song...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the difference between the two? I have seen in a catalog that the Tremec has slightly lower gearing for 1st, but are they otherwise similar? I know what car the T5 comes from, but what about the Tremec?

I'm taking the restomod route, so I'm not worried about originality much. For both sentimental reasons and lack of any rust problems, I don't think I'll ever sell the car, so I'm not worried about resale value. The only person who might have a chance of buying it would be my son, but he's only 6 now. He is getting pretty good with a ratchet though...

Thanks for all the replies.

68 coupe - Soon to be daily driver (I hope!)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks like i'm in the minority on this one. toploader all the way! less wear on your clutch due to one less gear, plus i'm too lazy to shift an extra gear.

Rubelle
65 2+2, 289 (early A code), c/r toploader, magna suspension, centerline convo pros

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
The Tremec is basically a stronger tranny than the T-5. The T-5 can take a lot of abuse, but it does have its limiations.
I found it to be powershifting with my old T-5...
The gearing is for the most part identical. Other than a few CobraR mustangs, its only been used for aftermarket use and not in production.

The Tremec weighs about 25 lbs more, so you know its got some beefy internals. The bolt pattern is also the same as a Toploader, so you could use a 4 speed bell housing (with a spacer).

I've got a 4 speed shifter so even though I've got a 5 speed, its looks like the original 4 speed setup, unless you look at the shifter knob and see the 5 speed pattern :)

[color:red]1966</font color=red> [color:blue]V8</font color=blue> [color:red]Coupe</font color=red>
http://www.geocities.com/2bav8
5 speed, 4.11s, 10.13 in the quarter mile.
Oh wait, that was a Sammy Haggar song...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I, drive a 66 fastback with a 302 5speed, It makes the hugest difference if you do highway driving!! It will keep the rpms lower than 2000. Im even have 411 in the rear and in fifth it doesnt go much higher then 2300. I highly recommend it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts