Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1966 C Code Coupe / 1970 Mach 1 351C
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 speed toploader wide ratio transmission (HEH-P) that came with my car, but I decided to go with a 5 speed, so I am looking to sell. I don't know anything about it such as whether it has been rebuilt recently, etc. It does have a 28 spline shaft, so apparently it has been reworked sometime in the past, as the HEH-P were originally 25 spline. It also has a Hurst Competition Plus Shifter and linkage attached along with the bell housing. I popped open the cover and the gears looks clean, but I don't have a clue on what price I should ask - Ebay is all over the place on pricing.

Any thoughts on what this might be worth? Is something like this shippable at a reasonable price?

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Machine Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system

Gas Automotive tire Metal Auto part Wood

Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Metal

Automotive tire Camera accessory Bicycle part Motor vehicle Gear

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Tire

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm by no means a Toploader 4 spd expert and am just giving a figure based off what's available on eBay, but I'd say probably at least $1k? Maybe even closer to $1,200-$1,500 since you have the bellhousing, shifter and shifter linkage as well? The only hiccup that I could see would be someone that wants one that's been freshly rebuilt or refurbished, but the gears and internals on yours look to be newer and very clean. Might think about bead/sand blasting the outside of it as well as the bellhousing and then painting everything up to make it look really nice and more presentable. Just my 2c, of course, good luck!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Do you have the shift handle? That shifter is a factory Hurst with the plastic style bushings. They were used 1970-1973

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
Toploader cores, that need to be rebuilt, start at $500 for transmission only. Since yours has obviously been rebuilt, and it's a correct Mustang unit - I'd agree with the others and start around $1200~$1500 - just for the transmission.

Bellhousing - $100 or so

Shifter - as JW67Conv pointed out, that's a factory 70-73 Hurst shifter. Primo condition 1970/71 units that are complete with good chrome on the handle can sell in the $1500 range. If you have the handle, post a pic and the number stamped into the blade portion. There are also part number stamped into the shift rod, which will help pin down the year.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Last year I sold the toploader out of my S-code, with Hurst shifter, that needed rebuild and had a mounting ear knocked off for $800. That did not include the bell housing or clutch fork.

·
Premium Member
8,305 Posts
The tag can be nice, or meaningless. They are for sale, loose, on ebay. It is what the main case, tail shaft are, and what is inside.

Yes, they can be shipped, UPS allows 150 pounds as a shipment, not freight.

·
Registered
22,284 Posts
Food for thought. When you calculate the final drive with a T5 with 4.10 gears and calculate the final drive of 2nd to 5th (1st gear would be useless) to a wide ratio Toploader with 2.80 gears and calculate the final drive of 1st to 4th, you will find the T5 2-5 compare very closely to the Toploader 1-4. Plus the Toploader will have better spaced gearing.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
2,643 Posts
Food for thought. When you calculate the final drive with a T5 with 4.10 gears and calculate the final drive of 2nd to 5th (1st gear would be useless) to a wide ratio Toploader with 2.80 gears and calculate the final drive of 1st to 4th, you will find the T5 2-5 compare very closely to the Toploader 1-4. Plus the Toploader will have better spaced gearing.
Did he say he had a 4.10?

·
Registered
22,284 Posts
Did he say he had a 4.10?
IDK, I’m just mentioning that as a lot of guys run 4.10’s with the T5. 5th knocks down the 4.10’s to 2.66 while 2nd in the T5 would be 7.91 to 7.78 for the Toploader. 3rd in the T5 would be 5.29 and 3.61. Yes a bit more of a difference however with the Toploader it’s better spaced. With the T5 you have a 7.91, 5.29 and a big jump to 2.66.

With the Toploader you have a better drive line angle and lower driveshaft speed

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
2,643 Posts
IDK, I’m just mentioning that as a lot of guys run 4.10’s with the T5. 5th knocks down the 4.10’s to 2.66 while 2nd in the T5 would be 7.91 to 7.78 for the Toploader. 3rd in the T5 would be 5.29 and 3.61. Yes a bit more of a difference however with the Toploader it’s better spaced. With the T5 you have a 7.91, 5.29 and a big jump to 2.66.

With the Toploader you have a better drive line angle and lower driveshaft speed
I've always read that 3.55 is a good combination for the T5.

·
Registered
22,284 Posts
I've always read that 3.55 is a good combination for the T5.
personally I never would. I’ve driven the 3.35 1st gear T5 with 2.73, 3.08, 3.27 and 3.40. Hands down my favorite was the 3.27’s. All 5 gears work well. Once you get past this, you start to bias 4 of the 5 gears to the axle. I’ve driven @2nd 66 car with 3.40’s. That little bit of difference in axle ratio is a lot more in 1st gear. His 1st gear was a bit low but definitely wouldn’t go lower on the axle.

I had 2.80’s with my Toploader. Over all they worked well. The reason I don’t have them anymore, they were open and they were noisy. I was thinking of going 3.25’s. I scored a slightly used 3.55 set up and a good price. While I never would have bought them new the price was too good to pass. I figured I’d have some fun then sell them. I have a waffle case 3.00’s that I’m going to put a limited slip in and sell the 3.55’s.

I actually have. 97 V6 T5 I bought about 20 years ago. I bought a shorter input shaft for it. I don’t know if I’ll ever put it in but I’ll absolutely swap 5th gear for a set of .80:1. This would make the 3.00 into 2.40’s which will be pretty nice.

Again I would not go lower then a 3.25’s with a T5. That’s just me. This is why I say you have to calculate the final drive ratio in all gears of the transmission not just 4th or 5th.

·
Registered
1966 C Code Coupe / 1970 Mach 1 351C
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the replies. The case # is C5AR-7006-D with a date code of H21.

Do you have the shift handle? That shifter is a factory Hurst with the plastic style bushings. They were used 1970-1973
It didn't come with the handle.

There are also part number stamped into the shift rod, which will help pin down the year.
Here are the part numbers stamped on the linkage:

Two of the shift levers have 0ZR-197A and 0ZR-02B, and one of the shift rods has D0ZA-7B112-C so it looks to be out of a 1970.

So I am gathering that some of you think I should sell transmission, shifter, and bell housing separate. I was really looking to sell this as one item, but if it would be worth more to sell separately, I could get it broken down into 3 units.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
2,643 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. The case # is C5AR-7006-D with a date code of H21.

It didn't come with the handle.

Here are the part numbers stamped on the linkage:

Two of the shift levers have 0ZR-197A and 0ZR-02B, and one of the shift rods has D0ZA-7B112-C so it looks to be out of a 1970.

So I am gathering that some of you think I should sell transmission, shifter, and bell housing separate. I was really looking to sell this as one item, but if it would be worth more to sell separately, I could get it broken down into 3 units.
Worth more in three parts? Yeah, but 3x the hassle.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts