Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How interchangeable are the toploader main cases? The toploader currently in my 67 is of the 67-68 style. My case has a broken mounting ear and I found a 72 torino toploader for sale locally. I know the contents of my toploader are good so I was wondering if I could swap cases. I noticed the 72 has some extra holes on the driver side which is making me hesitate. I was also planning to give davidkee toploaders a call to see if they sold just the main case.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
They're compatible. The '72 is not going to have a bottom bottom drain plug (unmodified) and that area on the drivers-side top was for an electric plug provision I believe (backup lights?).

·
Premium Member
10,812 Posts
the 72 case has that extra hole for that switch. it was a 72 only thing. i sold a 72 case about 20 years ago. my landlord has a 72. you can remove the switch and plug the hole. the gears will fit. use the 72 shift rails just in case-a-dia.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, good to know. The only other difference I noticed was the 72 had a longer tail housing. I assume since I would be using my old guts and output shaft and housing that wouldn't be an issue. Would the input shaft be the same between the two as well? Mine is a little scored from the seal rubbing it

·
Premium Member
10,812 Posts
Cool, good to know. The only other difference I noticed was the 72 had a longer tail housing. I assume since I would be using my old guts and output shaft and housing that wouldn't be an issue. Would the input shaft be the same between the two as well? Mine is a little scored from the seal rubbing it
just use the tail shaft and tail housing you have. if you dont want the torino tail housing and shaft Dan Williams Toploaders might be interested in buying it from you > 828-524-9085 Dan also has bare main cases

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for Dan's number, he is going to sell me a new case, rebuild kit and input shaft for only a few dollars more than I was going to pay for that craigslist top loader.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts