Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a riveted tag on my toploader, and it doesn't match what my book says an ID tag should be. Here's what it has:
Top line: HEH-BW
Bottom line: 011389

The bottom line doesn't make sense as a partial VIN code nor as a date. The book I have says the tag should look like:

XXX-YY-ZZ, where X is the Model Prefix, Y is the Model Suffice, and Z is the change ID.
Bottom line should read:
Y-M-DD-S, followed by the FoMoCo oval. where Y is year, M is month, DD is day, and S is shift. No oval on my tag.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The lower line is the tranny serial number instead of the date code for HEH model transmissions (and some others). This tag is usually placed on the front right side of the tranny. Recall that toploaders were also a hot item to have like K-code 289's so many had the serial number on it.

Tom

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
The best I've been able to decipher is that these numbers (Bottom line: 011389) are consecutive unit numbers for assembly line installed toploaders.
Fords way of keeping track of how many, where, and when a toploader was installed.
I've seen enough to know that one may have come from San Jose and one a few numbers later came from Dearborn.
This info from toploaders which also had complete VIN numbers stamped in case.
[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts