Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My toploader has begun to make noise and hoping for some suggestions to the cause. One local transmission shop test drove it and their diagnosis was "there's an internal problem". That was lots of help...

So I yanked it out the other day and don't see any obvious parts damage with just a little bit of metal filings stuck to the drain plug magnet. I did notice that the trans mount was pretty loose at the transmission.

The problem I had was I would get a fairly load oscillation noise which follows driveshaft speed but I didn't really get any large vibration in the shifter. Disengaging clutch or putting in neutral didn't make it go away. When the driveshaft stopped, the sound was gone.

The sound varys with gear and load, but is was worst under mild accel in 3rd gear.

There was no problem shifting or staying in gear...

I'm wondering if the loose mount could have been the culprit.
Any thoughts?

I have the trans out now, is there any easy checks to confirm output shaft bearing health? Anyone know of a toploader manual on-line?

Thanks,
Rob Farmelo

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Second vote for mark. As far as toploaders go, he is the man! (nice guy too!)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mark,

Thanks for the idea. I hadn't considered that. Do you have any idea what the specs are for the pinion bearing side &
end play? I assume a small number like .002 or so. I'll check.

Thanks,
Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts